Re: [art_education] Can a teacher teach AP Art w ith out Bachelors Degree

  • yatesal@japioneers.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2013
      I think you might need a Master's since they get college credit for the course, but I'm not sure. Your guidance office or teaching advisor would know.

      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
        You need to register on collegeboard.com and submit an *incredibly* detailed syallabus. They will approve or reject you. I taught an AP psychology course and have a BA, but frankly, I don't remember my level of education coming up in the process.
        I did try for an AP art studio class, and was rejected (several times ;(. They did not tell me why, and I just stopped trying. I got the Psychology course "ok" on the first try, so I don't know what to tell you there. Same person, same level of detail (I thought). Maybe it was the grader? I dunno. But that's the process- create a log-in, write it up, submit it, wait for approval. Wash and repeat.
        Good luck,
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, yatesal@... <yatesal@...> wrote:

        > I think you might need a Master's since they get college credit for the course, but I'm not sure. Your guidance office or teaching advisor would know.
        >
        > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

      • brenda robson
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
          The school thats interested in me is already a qualified AP Art school so I think I'll be ok there.
          Thanks

          Brenda Robson

          On Mar 25, 2013, at 11:51 AM, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

          You need to register on collegeboard.com and submit an *incredibly* detailed syallabus. They will approve or reject you. I taught an AP psychology course and have a BA, but frankly, I don't remember my level of education coming up in the process.
          I did try for an AP art studio class, and was rejected (several times ;(. They did not tell me why, and I just stopped trying. I got the Psychology course "ok" on the first try, so I don't know what to tell you there. Same person, same level of detail (I thought). Maybe it was the grader? I dunno. But that's the process- create a log-in, write it up, submit it, wait for approval. Wash and repeat.
          Good luck,
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, yatesal@... <yatesal@...> wrote:

          > I think you might need a Master's since they get college credit for the course, but I'm not sure. Your guidance office or teaching advisor would know.
          >
          > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

        • elizhiz
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
            While having an AP coordinator and the like in place, the teacher is approved, not the school, for AP art. You must submit your own syllabus. If you go to College Board's website you will find tons of information. To get a class designed and approved and offered and scheduled usually takes a couple of years...

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, brenda robson <bruthrobson@...> wrote:

            > The school thats interested in me is already a qualified AP Art school so I think I'll be ok there.
            > Thanks
            >
            > Brenda Robson
            >

            > On Mar 25, 2013, at 11:51 AM, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:
            >
            > > You need to register on collegeboard.com and submit an *incredibly* detailed syallabus. They will approve or reject you. I taught an AP psychology course and have a BA, but frankly, I don't remember my level of education coming up in the process.
            > > I did try for an AP art studio class, and was rejected (several times ;(. They did not tell me why, and I just stopped trying. I got the Psychology course "ok" on the first try, so I don't know what to tell you there. Same person, same level of detail (I thought). Maybe it was the grader? I dunno. But that's the process- create a log-in, write it up, submit it, wait for approval. Wash and repeat.
            > > Good luck,
            > > Brandy
            > >

            > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, yatesal@... <yatesal@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I think you might need a Master's since they get college credit for the course, but I'm not sure. Your guidance office or teaching advisor would know.
            > > >
            > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

          • brenda robson
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
              Ah, too bad. Thank you

              Brenda Robson

              On Mar 28, 2013, at 7:24 AM, "elizhiz" <eheisey@...> wrote:

              While having an AP coordinator and the like in place, the teacher is approved, not the school, for AP art. You must submit your own syllabus. If you go to College Board's website you will find tons of information. To get a class designed and approved and offered and scheduled usually takes a couple of years...

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, brenda robson <bruthrobson@...> wrote:

              > The school thats interested in me is already a qualified AP Art school so I think I'll be ok there.
              > Thanks
              >
              > Brenda Robson
              >

              > On Mar 25, 2013, at 11:51 AM, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:
              >
              > > You need to register on collegeboard.com and submit an *incredibly* detailed syallabus. They will approve or reject you. I taught an AP psychology course and have a BA, but frankly, I don't remember my level of education coming up in the process.
              > > I did try for an AP art studio class, and was rejected (several times ;(. They did not tell me why, and I just stopped trying. I got the Psychology course "ok" on the first try, so I don't know what to tell you there. Same person, same level of detail (I thought). Maybe it was the grader? I dunno. But that's the process- create a log-in, write it up, submit it, wait for approval. Wash and repeat.
              > > Good luck,
              > > Brandy
              > >

              > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, yatesal@... <yatesal@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I think you might need a Master's since they get college credit for the course, but I'm not sure. Your guidance office or teaching advisor would know.
              > > >
              > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

            • Brandy
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
                My experience was not this at all- granted, I had flexibility in getting my class on the schedule and then just worked towards approval. We let students/parent know that "the class was seeking approval" and there was a possibility that the class could be downgraded to "Honors", which I thought is a really smart way of going about it and speed up the scheduling process by giving us room and flexibility. Honors is still worth a weighted grade (.5 vs. 1), AND students who want can still take the test at the end of the year so they can still get AP credit for college even if class grade isn't weighted as heavily. My dd self-studied for an AP and took without being enrolled in any formal class, so being in a class is not a requirement for the test.
                But my approval only took like 3 months, between me writing it and getitng it approved. Again, I say I had trouble with my AP art submission, but my psychology submission went very fast, and our AP government teacher had not problems either. The biggest hold up seems to be the schedule, because it will not be your submission turn around time to college board.
                Just my experience,
                Brandy