Re: Demo Lesson Help

  • eileenciavarella
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16 8:59 AM
      Hi Angela,

      I did a lesson demo on flowers. I started by talking about the start of spring and what I saw happening outside in nature. Then talked about how plants start from seeds. I had the first graders get out of their seats and we pretended that we were tiny seeds (scrunching down) then we began to grow (slowing standing and stretching up to the sky). We made hand movements for rain, etc. I had them sit back in their seats and we looked at flowers (I brought in silk examples) and talked about their parts. Comparing/contrasting different types. Then I gave them each a paper with a seed pasted to the bottom and asked them to draw what they imagined grew from the seed. I provided oil pastels. The students were very engaged. I only had 20 minutes to do the entire lesson but I could have stretched it out longer if given more time.

      Good luck,
      Eileen

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "A. Thielke" <angethielke@...> wrote:

      > I am applying for several art teaching jobs at various age groups. I am
      > presently teaching at the middle school level and have been at it for 4
      > years. I feel a bit out of the loop and out of practice with the lower age
      > groups. What are some really good demo lessons that could show off my
      > ability to manage the class, engage the kids, and connect art making to art
      > history or another subject? I really appreciate your suggestions. If you
      > also have full lesson plans for me to consider that'd also be amazing. If
      > I'm making the switch to the lower age group, I'll need a lot of ideas and
      > support.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Angela

    • kamla ravikumar
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17 6:32 AM
        Eileen,
        Thats a wonderful lesson to teach children about nature through art.

        Kamla
        Chennai,India
      • priorhouse
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18 4:57 PM
          Hi Angela,

          1. Your style:
          Be sure to create a portfolio that helps explain your teaching style and how you will cater to different ability levels. All grade levels have an ability and attention span spectrum, but even more so in the younger grades (I think so at least). And so if I was highlighting my skills, one thing I would note is how I read each class and adapt the class flow to match each unique classroom. For example, a few years ago, I had a pre-k class with a little girl that was smart, talkative, and just more advanced than her classmates (who were mostly boys). In order to cater to her attention span, the class evolved in a way that she would sit and paint a little more while the other 15 students and I looked at the art book of the day. I made it a non-issue for the other students and it may not have been needed the following year, but for that fall semester, our class flowed better when I was able to allow this young girl keep on painting. NOw my other class of that age had all students with short attention spans and so we all moved as a group and there was not a need to cater to anyone.

          Another (and more recent) example pertains to a mixed age group (K-thru 6th) that I teach on Tuesdays. One of the ten year olds in the class really likes to add details to her work - and she just takes her time! I noticed that she even listens to everything that is going on while she pokes around - and so while giving the intro explanation at a station the other day, she was working at her seat and we exchanged looks and I allowed her to stay and paint while the rest of the class stood right near the center listening to directions. It worked for that day and allowed student needs to be catered to. Oh, and her piece had some extra nice touches too!

          2. Demos:
          Also, when you give class demos (you may already know this from MS lessons) but because attention spans and skill levels are all over the place, I usually have multiple drawing tutorials going - (or samples of whatever it is I am showing) always at least two - where students who are quick can move through the lesson and go on and practice -and then those that do no quite get it - well I can slow things down and go over each line (or step) just for them. Like when we folded an easy origami fish, I had 3 or 4 of them going. Or drawing a bird, I had two demos going on the board and would say, "OK, those that are following this drawing, what do you think we add next? That's right, the tail feathers, and here is one way of drawing tail feathers...."

          3. Process:
          Lastly, do not forget to note that PROCESS is a huge part of art for the younger grades. And so sometimes I add a note to the back of certain pieces letting parents know how much time and effort was spent on a certain piece. For example, on the back of a 3rd graders Japanese tree I noted something like, "This large brown trunk and the many branches you see do not totally show you how much exploring and time was spent pre-drsawing and then painting this piece. Your child (I put int he name) mixed paints and created this special hue of brown all on his own. He layered the paint (over at least 4 other colors he was using at first), applied it in swirls and then used up and down lines to finally get the texture he liked. And the 5 or 6 little pink tissue paper "buds" - well they were hand rolled and strategically placed on the tree in a place that your son really thought about. So as you look at this big brown mass of a tree, know that much of the process he experienced making this piece can never be measured" (something like that).

          But I find that parents and administrators need to be frequently reminded of the process that goes along with art work - and on certain projects I go out of my way to note this with the art work as well - like in the hall (hang up a note that states what was intrinsically gained from this project - i.e. the student was able to rip and tear bits and pieces of paper and then personally decide which scraps fit his primary color picture). Or as mentioned, I will note some of the process on a piece of paper that gets attached to the take home piece of art.

          ~~~~~~
          4. Lesson idea:
          I recently did a STAR lesson that may offer a few ideas for the younger grade levels:
          Our lesson was an entire afternoon class with a few breaks, but this could be spread out over a few different weeks of classes:

          Students learned what a constellation is, learned about the North Star (Polaris), made a mini view finder (with a recycled TP roll), drew a basic 5 point star, designed their own constellation, and painted a picture. (Could also have made a star mobile or used craft sticks to make stars)

          VIRGINIA SOL'S AND THIS LESSON:

          General Educational Standard (ES.14)
          The student will investigate and understand the planets and other members of the solar system. Key concepts include cosmology and the origin of stars and stellar systems (the Big Bang, stellar evolution, star systems, nebulae, constellations, and galaxies.)

          Fine Art VA SOLs targeted in this workshop:

          K.3 Learn about and make shapes (star shapes and star patterns - constellation pictures)
          K.8; 5.11 Spatial relationships (spacing between stars to make constellations)
          K.15; 1.3; 8.22; AI.13 Classify and learn art terms (patterns, shapes, lines - and use appropriate art vocabulary)
          K.16 Express and discuss expression in personal works of art (tell about your patterns and about the constellation you made; also share about your canvas painting....)

          1.4 Create art inspired by a theme (star theme)
          1.5 Create art from real and imaginary sources of inspiration. (Make up your pattern or copy ancient ones)
          1.8 Develop coordination by drawing and constructing (Make a five point star, sketch a star, make a pattern of stars into a picture, roll paper beads, cut elastic string, plan color patterns, paint a 4 x 4 canvas, etc.)

          2.9 Use a variety of sources for art ideas, including nature, people, images, imagination, and resource materials. (be inspired by constellations, recognize the big dipper <and more constellations if time and interest allow> and use science and stars to create with)
          2.18 Distinguish between natural and man-made objects in environment (learn about science and stars)

          3.2 Use various art processes and techniques to produce works of art that demonstrate craftsmanship. (glue or stick on star patterns, use acrylic paints and pre-sketch and underdrawing, use shredded money to add texture to a piece, roll paper into beads and string them, make a view finder with recycled materials, etc.)
          3.3 Develop art ideas from a variety of sources (stars and science)
          3.4 Use patterns that extend the sequential structure and use different motifs
          3.5 Use different shapes in a work of art (constellations)
          3.6; 8.14; AI.12 History, cultures, and different times and places (as we look at how the same stars were in the sky over the centuries)

          4.3; 8.6 Use themes in a work of art (planets and space theme)
          4.5; 5.4; 6.2; 7.3; AII.10 Create repeating patterns, use repetition and variety in a work of art (star patterns, bead patterns, sequence of stars etc.)

          5.3; 8.2; AI.3; AI.8; AII.3 Use Elements of Art (including shapes) to personally express
          5.12; 6.16; 7.14; AI:7; AII.5 Express ideas through artistic choices of media, techniques, and subject matter. (Students choose their own materials and projects at each station - use a range of media!)

          http://time4arttt.blogspot.com/2013/02/stars-and-constellations.html

          HTH, Y. Prior in VA
          ;)