Re: need help using photos of students!

  • Elizabeth Vetne
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
      You can do an an image transfer really easily on paper using acetone, as long as the photos are printed using a laser printer rather than an inkjet. Just get some acetone or strong nailpolish remover. Place the image upside-down on paper (smooth rather than rough- it doesn't work with regular cold-press watercolor paper or anything with a lot of tooth) and using a cotton ball with the acetone, go over the back of the image a few times, pressing down firmly. When you lift the paper up, you will have an image transfer!

      You could do a mixed media portrait after you transfer the image (which only takes a few minutes) where the students can use different kinds of media (watercolor works great) to "fill in" different parts of the image transfer.

    • priorhouse
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
        you may want to try pop-art self-portraits - use the photo to make a pencil outline of basic features. Make the lines thick and dark - and then use ben-day dots to fill in different areas.

        here is a simple example: http://gmgart.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/pop-art-portraits/
        or check pintrest for lots more!

        Also, here is beginner photoshop lesson:
        http://www.melissaevans.com/tutorials/pop-art-inspired-by-lichtenstein

        HTH, ~Yvette

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
          Also may want to check out the incredible art lessons for ideas: http://www.incredibleart.org/lessons/elem/selfport.htm

          For example, one of the lessons on my "to try list" is Tammy Morin's Lesson: What do I Value? Values Self Portrait Painting

          The lesson details from the site:
          From Tammy:
          One project that I have done for Power of Words theme is value self portraits. They created a painting using only black, white and values of gray. They mixed the colors themselves. I also took pictures of them, brought them into the computer and made them black and white so they would have an easier time seeing the values. When the painting was finished we talked about their personal values and what was important to them. They then created a list to use for the painting. We cut the paintings out and mounted them on black paper. They then painted their "values" around the portrait.

          From Judy:
          This lesson is good for elementary through middle school (and up). I particularly liked the range of styles of painting this project showed. I selected two very different examples from the ones Tammy shared.