Re: need help using photos of students!

  • Caitlin O'Neal López
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
      Short projects that I've done with headshots before:
      1. Realistic Half-Portraits--Students cut their face in half and then drew the missing half with pencils as realistically as possible.
      2. Symbolic Half-Portraits--Students cut their face in half and then drew the missing half with symbols that represent themselves.
      3. Verbal Self-Portraits--sounds a lot like your typography assignment...  They traced the basic contours of their face onto plain white paper (we held them up against the window).  Then then chose song lyrics, a poem or some other literary element that was meaningful to them to fill in the dark values of the portrait.  This only took a few periods for my 7th and 8th graders and when my 10th graders did it, it was a homework assignment.

      Have fun! :)

    • Elizabeth Vetne
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
        You can do an an image transfer really easily on paper using acetone, as long as the photos are printed using a laser printer rather than an inkjet. Just get some acetone or strong nailpolish remover. Place the image upside-down on paper (smooth rather than rough- it doesn't work with regular cold-press watercolor paper or anything with a lot of tooth) and using a cotton ball with the acetone, go over the back of the image a few times, pressing down firmly. When you lift the paper up, you will have an image transfer!

        You could do a mixed media portrait after you transfer the image (which only takes a few minutes) where the students can use different kinds of media (watercolor works great) to "fill in" different parts of the image transfer.

      • priorhouse
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
          you may want to try pop-art self-portraits - use the photo to make a pencil outline of basic features. Make the lines thick and dark - and then use ben-day dots to fill in different areas.

          here is a simple example: http://gmgart.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/pop-art-portraits/
          or check pintrest for lots more!

          Also, here is beginner photoshop lesson:
          http://www.melissaevans.com/tutorials/pop-art-inspired-by-lichtenstein

          HTH, ~Yvette

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
            Also may want to check out the incredible art lessons for ideas: http://www.incredibleart.org/lessons/elem/selfport.htm

            For example, one of the lessons on my "to try list" is Tammy Morin's Lesson: What do I Value? Values Self Portrait Painting

            The lesson details from the site:
            From Tammy:
            One project that I have done for Power of Words theme is value self portraits. They created a painting using only black, white and values of gray. They mixed the colors themselves. I also took pictures of them, brought them into the computer and made them black and white so they would have an easier time seeing the values. When the painting was finished we talked about their personal values and what was important to them. They then created a list to use for the painting. We cut the paintings out and mounted them on black paper. They then painted their "values" around the portrait.

            From Judy:
            This lesson is good for elementary through middle school (and up). I particularly liked the range of styles of painting this project showed. I selected two very different examples from the ones Tammy shared.