need help using photos of students!

  • fufuyina
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I only have a few weeks before the end of the marking period to use photos I took of each student. Originally, I was planning to do a typography assignment where they write words in the outline areas of their face, but things happened and there will not be enough time. I have 8x10 black and white photocopies of their "head shots"...any ideas for a project that is not too involved. I thought about using watercolor for a background and then using a sharpie to trace their face outline on clear plastic, then overlaying it
      I thought I would ask here to see what people have done. I see the students daily and we have 50 min periods, but will only have 5 class days to complete.

      Also thought about image transfers to drawing paper, but I have never done it on paper, only packaging tape...

      Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

      Terry
      Bronx, NY
    • Caitlin O'Neal López
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
        Short projects that I've done with headshots before:
        1. Realistic Half-Portraits--Students cut their face in half and then drew the missing half with pencils as realistically as possible.
        2. Symbolic Half-Portraits--Students cut their face in half and then drew the missing half with symbols that represent themselves.
        3. Verbal Self-Portraits--sounds a lot like your typography assignment...  They traced the basic contours of their face onto plain white paper (we held them up against the window).  Then then chose song lyrics, a poem or some other literary element that was meaningful to them to fill in the dark values of the portrait.  This only took a few periods for my 7th and 8th graders and when my 10th graders did it, it was a homework assignment.

        Have fun! :)

      • reenshannon
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
          Make a Calder type contour drawing with wire. The could place the wire on
          top of the photo and trace the contours with the wire. Or self portrait
          drawing- they could learn face mapping using their own face (are their
          eyes 1/2 way down their skull, do they have an eye length space between
          their eyes, etc)
          Reen

        • <kjgeist@...>
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013

            Hi Terry - not sure what age group you teach. I teach K-5 and I just finished a very successful 5th grade project with photos - it actually turned out to be 2 finished products.

            First we recycled old transparencies - taped it to the photo on one side to create a "hinge". they did a value study of their b&w face/photo. With sharpie, they used some single lines but I steered them away from "outlining". black tones were colored in, medium tones were hatched or cross-hatched, and lights left alone. We looked at Andy Warhol's Statue of Liberty prints (with lavender  camouflage) . Then created a watery, light painting on 9x12 drawing paper ( i used 6 color tempera cakes with the addition of a white cake).  To finish, they punched 2 holes in the top of the painting and drawing (8 1/2 x 11 transparency on top of 9x12 painting) and added 2 brads.

            This took about 3-4 40 minute periods.

            They were still left with a paper black and white photo from an ink jet printer. I passed out and assortment of hi-liters had them color in most of their photo - let them go crazy and we talked about translucence. Then we passed out gel markers and talked about opaqueness. They "accessorized" themselves with the gel markers. they did this in 1-2 sessions (40 minutes each).

            Kim

            This communication and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify Support Services at custserv@.... Under Florida law, our e-mail addresses and communications are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address and message content released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this system. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. Thank You

          • Brandy
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
              http://schools.dcsdk12.org/education/components/album/default.php?sectiondetailid=197602&

              Found this on Pinterest. Seems right up the B&W photograph alley :)

              With 5 classes, you would be able to get the kids to reproduce their images using a grid. I took b&w images of my students, placed with in clear sleeve protectors and then the kids created a grid on the acetate using sharpies. They used the grid to help them know where to draw on their paper (a la Diego Rivera mural style), which also had a lightly drawn grid.
              http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=91692
              Here's our Artsonia exhibit. Some of the faces are obviously not portrait grade, but the kids were so proud of how they came out. I think I heard every student comment, that that was the best portrait they had ever drawn. Several of the 1st grade student images were amazing considering their age, 6 or 7!

              I was just looking on a sewen paper bing page. You could do some cool things with that. Maybe they could color just their eyes with thread, or just the eyes and mouth? I would pair that with a lesson on line quality and how the direction of a line tells you a lots about it. The eye color sewn laterally is going to look a lot different then eyes sewn with radial lines. My experience sewing paper tells me to use it two sheets thick, three if it's a thin copy paper.

              Have fun creating,
              Brandy

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I only have a few weeks before the end of the marking period to use photos I took of each student. Originally, I was planning to do a typography assignment where they write words in the outline areas of their face, but things happened and there will not be enough time. I have 8x10 black and white photocopies of their "head shots"...any ideas for a project that is not too involved. I thought about using watercolor for a background and then using a sharpie to trace their face outline on clear plastic, then overlaying it
              > I thought I would ask here to see what people have done. I see the students daily and we have 50 min periods, but will only have 5 class days to complete.
              >
              > Also thought about image transfers to drawing paper, but I have never done it on paper, only packaging tape...
              >
              > Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!
              >
              > Terry
              > Bronx, NY

            • Elizabeth Vetne
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
                You can do an an image transfer really easily on paper using acetone, as long as the photos are printed using a laser printer rather than an inkjet. Just get some acetone or strong nailpolish remover. Place the image upside-down on paper (smooth rather than rough- it doesn't work with regular cold-press watercolor paper or anything with a lot of tooth) and using a cotton ball with the acetone, go over the back of the image a few times, pressing down firmly. When you lift the paper up, you will have an image transfer!

                You could do a mixed media portrait after you transfer the image (which only takes a few minutes) where the students can use different kinds of media (watercolor works great) to "fill in" different parts of the image transfer.

              • priorhouse
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
                  you may want to try pop-art self-portraits - use the photo to make a pencil outline of basic features. Make the lines thick and dark - and then use ben-day dots to fill in different areas.

                  here is a simple example: http://gmgart.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/pop-art-portraits/
                  or check pintrest for lots more!

                  Also, here is beginner photoshop lesson:
                  http://www.melissaevans.com/tutorials/pop-art-inspired-by-lichtenstein

                  HTH, ~Yvette

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
                    Also may want to check out the incredible art lessons for ideas: http://www.incredibleart.org/lessons/elem/selfport.htm

                    For example, one of the lessons on my "to try list" is Tammy Morin's Lesson: What do I Value? Values Self Portrait Painting

                    The lesson details from the site:
                    From Tammy:
                    One project that I have done for Power of Words theme is value self portraits. They created a painting using only black, white and values of gray. They mixed the colors themselves. I also took pictures of them, brought them into the computer and made them black and white so they would have an easier time seeing the values. When the painting was finished we talked about their personal values and what was important to them. They then created a list to use for the painting. We cut the paintings out and mounted them on black paper. They then painted their "values" around the portrait.

                    From Judy:
                    This lesson is good for elementary through middle school (and up). I particularly liked the range of styles of painting this project showed. I selected two very different examples from the ones Tammy shared.