string

  • daru3200
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2013
      I had hoped to try macrame and ordered what I thought was macrame cord, but it turned out to be beautiful string. What can you do with string?

      David Rubin

      Ever get the feeling that life's a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?

      No trees were harmed in the making of this message, but a few electrons were slightly inconvenienced

      Don't shoot your family. Let us shoot your family. We'll also frame and hang them.
      motto of Fine Art Fotos photography studio
    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2013
        http://quelinda-crafts.blogspot.com/2012/01/string-wall-art-for-valentines-day.html

        Here is something I found on a pinterest page. It's a super clever way to un-wind the string as well! I've done the circular design with elementary and middle school students. With middle school students we used much longer mails and then had them move up a tiny bit for each color of string they added to their pegs. Then the design became deep. I really wish I had photos of them. We did as a summer project at a camp and I didn't take photos for myself or boards. They were quite beautiful.
        Done using the students own choice of words can prevent it from becoming too crafty. If done as a math-geometrtic connection, it is a bit crafty, as everyone's will look the nearly same, but darn if they don't all look good. lol The circle designs can be nailed by students as young as 8 without too much assistance; For the The word designs, I would have the students be at least 11- unless you can get a lot of helpers! We used pine for a wood base in my camp project, but I wonder if you couldn't use a doubled, glued foam core board as the base, and then you could avoid the necessity of a hammer? If you try it out, let me know how it works for you.
        Brandy

        http://pinterest.com/bergiemoore/art-i-want-to-teach/ - my art teaching pinterest page.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, daru3@... wrote:

        > I had hoped to try macrame and ordered what I thought was macrame cord,
        > but it turned out to be beautiful string. What can you do with string?
        >
        > David Rubin
        >
        > Ever get the feeling that life's a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?
        >
        > No trees were harmed in the making of this message, but a few electrons
        > were slightly inconvenienced
        >
        > Don't shoot your family. Let us shoot your family. We'll also frame and
        > hang them.
        > motto of Fine Art Fotos photography studio

      • priorhouse
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
          Hi David, I am not sure if this would work with the string you have, but you may want to use it for animal fiber art. I have seen this done with yarn, or rope (and both of my boys made turtles with rolled and coiled ROPE, which are pieces that I still treasure dearly)

          but depending on the age and objective, you may
          want to try pulled string art, string painting, bracelet braiding,

          be able to use the string for math in art with STRING ART:

          "Transfer the patterns to wood, hammer nails (or tacks) into the dots, and wrap string or thread from nail to nail to make your designs..."
          http://www.mathcats.com/crafts/stringart.html

          HTH,
          Yvette in VA