Re: quote from Judy and thanks to Tricia as well

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2013
      Excellently put. This echos the sentiment of Mary Kohl in her article "Arts vs. Crafts" -
      http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/MaryAnn-Kohl-Arts-Crafts/379002813/
      I have learned that children in middle and higher that have decided "art" is not their label have created a block to being creative or expressing themselves through visual mediums. I do some drawing "crafts" with a goal in mind. Say, a Celtic knot or making a generic face, and we'll all make one that looks like x or y. But it's usually a spring board for individual work. My hope is that being shown they can achieve the drawing portion allows them room to grow it into a more individual expression for the larger project.
      Regards,
      Brandy