Re: Art teachers and Facebook

  • tabchoiceteaching
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
      Great idea, Ken. I look forward to seeing pages.

      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Teaching-for-Artistic-Behavior-TAB/144118082280049

      is very active with links, photos, advocacy added every morning. "like" the page to add it to your news feed.

      Art educator Twitter names are good to collect also. follow me @twoducks.

      kathy douglas
      k-3 massachusetts retired

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, art_education-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Members,
      >
      > Someone suggested a few weeks ago that we include the Facebook URL's of members from the group to grow the community.
    • brenda robson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
        May I run this by you all?

        A student's art from our high school is rejected for first place because the reference was from a book from the 40s. She did a printmaking portrait that was very loose. A man in a Turban.
        They wanted a model release, so it got 5th.

        What methods do you upper school teachers use to avoid this kind of thing?

        I teach ms and we don't have to worry as much. If I see something I like and show it to the student even if they don't copy it, it's considered reference and I must include a pic on the back.

        I understand the reasons but if the student liked the look of this man, does she have to go find a man, put him in a turban and take his pic? Even then she'd probably legally have to offer up the original posed pic too? What's the statute of limitations on this? 1940 isn't enough?

        I always heard change three things from your reference. But then when a human is involved you need a release.......feedback?

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2013
          When you say model release, were they wanting the actual model to sign this release? In that case, the statute of limitations is whatever is in their rules. Obviously a release from the model would be impossible if the model is dead. Perhaps they wanted approval so that copyright is not violated? That is an entirely different matter. They want to cover themselves if the estate of this person wants to sue.

          Here is a quick reference for copyright matters: http://www.incredibleart.org/links/clipart.html#copyright

          Ken

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, brenda robson <bruthrobson@...> wrote:

          > May I run this by you all?
          >
          > A student's art from our high school is rejected for first place because the reference was from a book from the 40s. She did a printmaking portrait that was very loose. A man in a Turban.
          > They wanted a model release, so it got 5th.
          >
          > What methods do you upper school teachers use to avoid this kind of thing?
          >
          > I teach ms and we don't have to worry as much. If I see something I like and show it to the student even if they don't copy it, it's considered reference and I must include a pic on the back.
          >
          > I understand the reasons but if the student liked the look of this man, does she have to go find a man, put him in a turban and take his pic? Even then she'd probably legally have to offer up the original posed pic too? What's the statute of limitations on this? 1940 isn't enough?
          >
          > I always heard change three things from your reference. But then when a human is involved you need a release.......feedback?

        • Brandy
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
            Being concerned for this myself, I went and looked it up again.
            http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107
            and
            copy right law durations-
            http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html
            Within the first paragraph of points you can see the student would not have violated copyright laws. I would DEMAND the panel reverse it's decision and issue an apology to the student. I had a similar event take place, and I went "tiger mama" on them about it. It was ridiculous for a student to be following the law and be punished by witless, uninformed judges.
            Brandy