New-to-me African American Artist - Thornton Dial

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2013
      Greetings Art Educators,

      This artist was mentioned on TAB Yahoo list (Teaching for Artistic Behavior).

      Thornton Dial
      http://www.high.org/Art/Exhibitions/Hard-Truths-Thornton-Dial.aspx
      Copied from the site:
      "Hard Truths: The Art of Thornton Dial is the most extensive survey of
      Thornton Dial's art ever mounted. Depicting the tragedies and triumphs
      of humanity, he moves the discourse of contemporary art-making into
      new territory and offers an unflinching vision of the world that
      invites us to examine even our hardest truths."

      "Thornton Dial's highly original works provide compelling commentary
      on the most pervasive challenges of our timeā€”from reflections on race
      and class struggle in America to haunting meditations on events of
      contemporary global concern.

      He creates dense accumulations of symbolically charged discarded
      materials, often engulfing them in expressionistic brushstrokes of
      color. Filled with rich allegories, his work invites us to discover
      many layers of meaning in its writhing forms, curious juxtapositions,
      and powerful imagery. Dial's paintings and assemblages draw
      inspiration from the rich aesthetic traditions of the black South.
      Among these is the African American yard show, a highly influential
      yet little-recognized genre of found-object sculptural display that
      employs cast-off materials as a form of encoded visual language."

      More:
      http://www.imamuseum.org/art/exhibitions/dial

      http://foundationstart.org/artists/thornton-dial/

      Several more museum exhibit of "Hard Truths: The Art of Thornton Dial".........

      Just spotted there was a N Y Time article Feb 2011 - so maybe he is
      not quite as "new-to-me".