Re: [art_education] Need help with "quotes"

  • Mirena Suarez
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
      Creativity Takes Courage, by Henri Matisse.
      Good luck!

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
        Such wonderful advise Yvette! For all of us who must "fall in love with change"!

        Brenda Robson

        On Feb 16, 2013, at 10:37 PM, "priorhouse" <priorhouse@...> wrote:

        Hi Terry -

        An EXCELLENT Resource of Art Quotations is at the painter's keys: http://quote.robertgenn.com
        from their site:
        "For researchers or artists just looking for inspiration, this is the world's largest collection of art quotes and sayings--online or in a book. It's entirely the work of volunteer subscribers and others. New art quotes are going in daily. Our staff will make all your entries searchable by author and subject. One word of caution--don't try to print it all out--you will run out of ink if you do."
        ~~~
        I have just recently started adding some quotes to some of my art lessons because sometimes that little nugget from the artist really gives a feel for the artist more than just my description.
        Also, quotes can sometimes can lead to mini discussions about the direct or implied (or multiple) meaning with the quotes - for example, Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" quote is great for a mini chat.

        Also recently,
        Favorite Cezanne quote:
        "Painting is here, inside..." Cezanne said, pointing to his forehead (Jourdain, 1946).

        I used that quote recently to share about Cezanne.... and how maybe this is why his portraits were not what he wanted - and why he found refuge in still life work - ) Like was it because he said all art had to come from the mind? -- and was it because he did not want to look and draw (or as Mona Brooks would say - look, draw, look - look, look, draw, look, draw, etc.) something like that - but it worked out well for Cezanne - even if maybe he did not learn how to really observe or "see" in the way that leads to certain outcomes (IMHO)
        and wow, his unique style permeated all of his work and even just a mere still life can feel alive -

        A fav Van Gogh quote:
        I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.

        Certain quotes can lead to lessons about lighting, artist mood, and preference for time of day - or lead to more examples like how Monet painted the same scenes at different times to capture the changing light.
        more Van Gogh ones here:
        http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/vincent_van_gogh.html

        Quotes about light and art here:
        http://quote.robertgenn.com/getquotes.php?catid=175

        Anyhow, I know your head must be spinning - but it sounds like you are staying flexible and not getting frustrated. Many years ago I watched a show that interviewed teachers that were quitting because they were tired of the changes that cramped their style -a few of those interviews stuck with me for different reasons, but one teacher went from literally doing his own thing for decades (in a rural area) to then having to teach standards ( VA SOLs) and he said he just could not do it. It was impossible for him to switch gears. But then another teacher shared - and admitted that because she did not have decades of teaching a certain way it was easier for her. But she also said a few profound things. and gosh, I wish I could recall the documentary to link it - but she shared that being flexible was the secret to life and sometimes we just have to stay stable! We have to adjust to being under different bosses, or having to yield to twists and turns that are not at all what she would plan for her class - or had times of eating humble pie - or just coping and staying stable. The point that she made was that she just tried to stay flexible and it took adjusting her perspective and choosing to roll with it instead of quitting (even if what she had to roll with was a gray area).

        And so as your head is spinning - try to squeeze out the good from this - because adding quotes and writing means that you will have to adjust your other art objectives and lesson plans. However, following orders is also advantageous and it can be win-win for the student in the end (really). They may get less of your wonderful originally planned lessons - but the modified adaptations could end being a blessing in disguise (for all). I mean, who knows, maybe a few of those quotes will help kids in ways they really need. Or the little way it boosts their writing becomes life-changing. Or it could energize you and put some pep in your step or just stir up your thinking about awesome things (because some quotes are just soul food). Or who knows, this may lead to new art lessons while it allows you to let some different creativity flow....

        And again, it did not sound like you were complaining, but I am sure that this has to be challenging. But it can work.... and don't forget that you can set boundaries here too. Like a lot of people forget that writing novels and long texts and rich essays - well it all builds on single words -sentences, and short quotes. And so you can remind the principal of that if he tries to have you spend the whole class writing. More is not always better - Also - writing will be improved when teachers can deliver their angle with their style - and students can only grasp so much at once - like trying to stuff someone's face with food because they need nutrition - so remind him of balance as he incorporates all of this writing throughout the school! Oh yes, and writing teachers could share more about this, but I heard that one of the worst things ever was to force students to write something 100 - or 500 times (punishment was associated with the art of writing and this was j ust bad).

        And so make it your aim to include some writing (quotes - or short phrases, poems, etc.) but also have a plan and draw boundaries. Is there a way you can give 5 minutes of class to writing?
        Hmm...

        Best wishes,

        Yvette (in VA)

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
        >
        > Thank you!
        > Terry

      • perigraphics2013
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
          Writing in relation to a quote could use a graphic organizer or mind map to build on their ideas, a think pair share to add to them, then a ranking idea to get to the best ones. Then complete the writing. Younger students think in more concrete terms. So a compilation of period images relating to the quote could help students develop their minds eye. Drawing or painting a work in relation to those images could reinforce that. Peri Raygor

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone
          > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
          >
          > Thank you!
          > Terry

        • S
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013

            > > Hi everyone
            > > My assistant principal he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote

            Hi Terry, from Hans Hofmann, 1880-1966

            Art is magic. How is it magic? If creation is not magic the outcome cannot be magic. To worship the product and ignore its development leads to dilettanitism and reactionism. Art cannot result from sophisticated frivolous or supperficial effects.

            You could of course ellipse some of it if you need.

            Susan
            Northeastern PA, USA
          • MaryAnn F. Kohl
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
              https://www.facebook.com/events/541025745929010/?ref=22

              Hi Art People. I am giving away 5 free art books, title: Mudworks Bilingual Edition (SP/Eng) on my Facebook event page. You don't have to actually come to the event...just sign up with a "Yes, I'm going" and you will be included in the drawing. On Feb. 28 I'll draw five names randomly from those signed up and mail you your prize!!

              Just for fun....

              MaryAnn

              . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              mArYAnN  KoHL
              maryann@...
              blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog
              website: www.brightring.com
              IBPA Board of Directors
              Barnes & Noble Parents' Expert Circle
              NAEYC Live Learning Center presenter

            • priorhouse
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
                A few more quotes came my way this week... oh, and ONE MORE LINK to share: http://www.artquotes.net

                Andy Warhol quotes:
                (About Campbell's soup) "I used to drink it. I used to have the same lunch every day, for twenty years, I guess, the same thing over and over again."
                "Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes."
                "Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art."
                "I am a deeply superficial person."
                "I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumors to my dogs."

                A quote about Warhol (by an art critic) "Warhol turned to photographs of stars, as the Renaissance turned to antiquities, to find images of gods." by David Sylvester, art critic (shared on art quotes net)
                ~~~~~~~~~
                "The job of the artist is to always deepen the mystery." Frances Bacon (as shared in R. Genn's blog this week)

                ~~~~~~~~~
                "Like a child, I paint before nature with an artless soul and the instincts of my fingertips." Pierre-Auguste Renoir

                " I am like a small cork, which has fallen into the water and is being carried away by the current." Pierre-Auguste Renoir

                ~~~~~~~~~
                "Every true artist has been inspired more by the beauty of lines and color and the relationships between them than by the concrete subject of the picture."
                Piet Mondrian

                "The emotion of beauty is always obscured by the appearance of the object. Therefore the object must be eliminated from the picture."
                Piet Mondrian

                ~~~~~~~~~

                The quote attributed to both Matisse and Picasso about C├ęzanne: "He is the father of us all"

                another quote about Cezanne
                "Cezanne, you see, is a sort of God of painting." Henri Matisse

                ~~~~~~~~

                My faith is not what I write about or what I paint about, but it is the light by which I see.
                Flannery O'Conner

                ~~~~~~~~

                I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
                Albert Einstein