Re: Digest Number 3962

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 16, 2013
      I have heard of schools no longer teaching cursive writing. Students seem to be writing only on tests. Essays are done on the computer. Because schools are different in each state and city, you will find a variety of differences. I personally think its a mistake to eliminate cursive writing. What would happen in a power black-out? How would anyone communicate without a computer in that case?

      Ken

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kamla Ravikumar <kamla_rk@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Pl. Correct me if I am wrong.I heard that students in the US dont write with a pen anymore.Is this true?
      > So what happens to the handwriting?
      > Here in India till 12th grade students still use notebooks and write with a pen.
      > Computers are used for added reference besides the text books.
      > Is it the same in US schools?
      >
      > Kamla
      > Chennai,India

    • S
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
        Yes this is true particularly in the midwest like Indiana

        http://www.parentdish.com/2011/07/11/indiana-schools-erase-cursive-from-the-curriculum/

        I do not know of other states following suit though.

        Susan

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
          It seems I am amiss.

          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14121541

          It was a core guideline issued by the Dept of Education of which 45 states have adopted it.

          http://www.corestandards.org/in-the-states

          Sorry Susan.
        • priorhouse
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
            Kamla,

            In my experience, students are still learning to write with pens and pencils (at least in Virginia) and public schools still teach cursive in 3rd grade. Now there is debate about this being too late to learn cursive - because kids may lose the chance to develop flow - or have a harder time with it because they were printing with the ball and stick to long- and then on the other hand, many private schools teach cursive in K (or earlier) and there is debate about this being way too early! I actually knew a few students that did not print! Like I had a second grader (transfer student) who could not print his name- while his cursive was elegant and superb - and he came from a school that used Abeka, which I have heard may be too heavy on the cursive in K and pre-K - or may overlook adding in the ol' printing first.

            Anyhow, I also recall seeing some 8th grade honors students writing pages and pages of essay edit drafts - and so I do not think all writing is on the computer, but the bulk surely is (and I kind of feel grateful for the technology ( i.e. Word, pdfs and rtfs) and think it just goes with the natural progress and historical changing of times. And maybe with iPads, and similar tablets, writing with stylus pens will soon be the new thing. Or finger tip cursive that uses three fingers and an occasional index from the other hand.

            Art idea: for a little while, a cursive lesson for younger students (K-2), I used to print out a sheet (from http://www.handwritingworksheets.com)
            for every child with their name (in cursive) and they would learn it and then use it somehow in a project (like as part of our NAME ART explosions poster). Wow, students are so proud to know how to write their name in cursive.

            Hope all is well in India Kamla! :)

            ~Yvette

            > I have heard of schools no longer teaching cursive writing. Students seem to be writing only on tests. Essays are done on the computer. Because schools are different in each state and city, you will find a variety of differences. I personally think its a mistake to eliminate cursive writing. What would happen in a power black-out? How would anyone communicate without a computer in that case?
            >
            > Ken
            >
            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kamla Ravikumar <kamla_rk@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > > Pl. Correct me if I am wrong.I heard that students in the US dont write with a pen anymore.Is this true?
            > > So what happens to the handwriting?
            > > Here in India till 12th grade students still use notebooks and write with a pen.
            > > Computers are used for added reference besides the text books.
            > > Is it the same in US schools?
            > >
            > > Kamla
            > > Chennai,India

          • Byrd1956
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
              According to my student they only do about 2 weeks of cursive in 2nd. grade. Some cannot print well at all with poor grammer, no punctuation,capitalization, etc. I have started an altered book page assignment around cursive. I give students a cursive sheet & they practice then create a cursive practice page in their altered book. After that is complete they choose a favorite poem, song, or a poem they have written and create a page in their altered book that includes artistic images and the words in cursive. I overheard two of my students talking. They were saying how much they enjoyed this and really liked doing cursive and that they were going to do more of it. I felt I had succeeded in enriching their lives.