Re: [art_education] Interviewing Questions

  • Ken Rohrer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2002
      Ada,
      First, you must make sure your license is valid in the state where you are applying. In some cases you may need to take additional classes or take another certification test. Once you are certified, look for openings in areas you like. There are many free job listings on the web. You can find one for Indiana here:
      http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/viewjobs/Default.asp
      Send a resume and cover letter to the contact person for the opening. It wouldn't hurt to also send a copy to the building principal of that particular opening. Bring with you a portfolio and expect questions relating to increasing test scores through art education.

      As a principal, I won't look at resumes unless I have an opening, so sending out mass quantities of resumes probably won't help you. Our district has over a thousand resumes filed away for non-existant openings. It is much easier to read resumes sent for a specific opening rather than wade through the mass of resumes previously sent.

      Hope this helps. Good luck!
      Ken Rohrer
      http://www.mcas.k12.in.us/coolspring/

      On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:36:57 Ada S wrote:

      >Hello
      >
      >I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the applying and interviewing
      >procecess. How does one apply for a first art teacher position? Do you
      >contact different schools directly to see if they have any openings or do
      >you go through some kind of agency that specializes in teacher placement?
      >Also, what should I expect from an interview? What kind of work should I
      >have in my portfolio? Do I need any letters of recomendation? Also I would
      >appreciate any and all advice from art educators out there. When does the
      >hiring process usually take place, it is the end of school year or earlier
      >in the year. I am sorry for asking all these questions, but as you can tell
      >I am not quite sure how to begin this transition process. I am also looking
      >into volunteering for the local YMCA, they have some Saturday art programs
      >(since I still have to work full time during the week)
      >
      >Ada

    • fiverm
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2002

        Ada, I have known of many interviews taking place very close to the month before school starts.Many teachers contemplating a move don't want to give up their bird in the hand until they are assured of a new job. Programs, monies change and that seems to be the order of business "at the last moment".

        Be ready for possible questions that pertain to what you can do for their specific population or setup. Be honest about skills as well as areas that can still be developed. Many try to inflate their own selves ( I know how easy it is to do) thus giving an innacurate picture of themselves. Ask yourself "If I was considering hiring ME, what would I base my decision on?"         Peace

        Do you Yahoo!?