Re: Need help with "quotes"

  • ednakate
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
      You might try the NY Times lesson plan area. They have a printable quotes page as well as a worksheet. You can "Google" NY Times Interpreting Famous Quotations.
      You might try having students find art quotes to bring in and discuss.
      Writing in general gets better with practice and feedback so maybe you could have a 2 minute quick write about an art quote you write on the board. Then students could share with the class, a partner, in a small group, etc.
      Good luck-
      Alyssa

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone
      > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
      >
      > Thank you!
      > Terry

    • priorhouse
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
        Hi Terry -

        An EXCELLENT Resource of Art Quotations is at the painter's keys: http://quote.robertgenn.com
        from their site:
        "For researchers or artists just looking for inspiration, this is the world's largest collection of art quotes and sayings--online or in a book. It's entirely the work of volunteer subscribers and others. New art quotes are going in daily. Our staff will make all your entries searchable by author and subject. One word of caution--don't try to print it all out--you will run out of ink if you do."
        ~~~
        I have just recently started adding some quotes to some of my art lessons because sometimes that little nugget from the artist really gives a feel for the artist more than just my description.
        Also, quotes can sometimes can lead to mini discussions about the direct or implied (or multiple) meaning with the quotes - for example, Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" quote is great for a mini chat.

        Also recently,
        Favorite Cezanne quote:
        "Painting is here, inside..." Cezanne said, pointing to his forehead (Jourdain, 1946).

        I used that quote recently to share about Cezanne.... and how maybe this is why his portraits were not what he wanted - and why he found refuge in still life work - ) Like was it because he said all art had to come from the mind? -- and was it because he did not want to look and draw (or as Mona Brooks would say - look, draw, look - look, look, draw, look, draw, etc.) something like that - but it worked out well for Cezanne - even if maybe he did not learn how to really observe or "see" in the way that leads to certain outcomes (IMHO)
        and wow, his unique style permeated all of his work and even just a mere still life can feel alive -

        A fav Van Gogh quote:
        I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.

        Certain quotes can lead to lessons about lighting, artist mood, and preference for time of day - or lead to more examples like how Monet painted the same scenes at different times to capture the changing light.
        more Van Gogh ones here:
        http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/vincent_van_gogh.html

        Quotes about light and art here:
        http://quote.robertgenn.com/getquotes.php?catid=175

        Anyhow, I know your head must be spinning - but it sounds like you are staying flexible and not getting frustrated. Many years ago I watched a show that interviewed teachers that were quitting because they were tired of the changes that cramped their style -a few of those interviews stuck with me for different reasons, but one teacher went from literally doing his own thing for decades (in a rural area) to then having to teach standards ( VA SOLs) and he said he just could not do it. It was impossible for him to switch gears. But then another teacher shared - and admitted that because she did not have decades of teaching a certain way it was easier for her. But she also said a few profound things. and gosh, I wish I could recall the documentary to link it - but she shared that being flexible was the secret to life and sometimes we just have to stay stable! We have to adjust to being under different bosses, or having to yield to twists and turns that are not at all what she would plan for her class - or had times of eating humble pie - or just coping and staying stable. The point that she made was that she just tried to stay flexible and it took adjusting her perspective and choosing to roll with it instead of quitting (even if what she had to roll with was a gray area).

        And so as your head is spinning - try to squeeze out the good from this - because adding quotes and writing means that you will have to adjust your other art objectives and lesson plans. However, following orders is also advantageous and it can be win-win for the student in the end (really). They may get less of your wonderful originally planned lessons - but the modified adaptations could end being a blessing in disguise (for all). I mean, who knows, maybe a few of those quotes will help kids in ways they really need. Or the little way it boosts their writing becomes life-changing. Or it could energize you and put some pep in your step or just stir up your thinking about awesome things (because some quotes are just soul food). Or who knows, this may lead to new art lessons while it allows you to let some different creativity flow....

        And again, it did not sound like you were complaining, but I am sure that this has to be challenging. But it can work.... and don't forget that you can set boundaries here too. Like a lot of people forget that writing novels and long texts and rich essays - well it all builds on single words -sentences, and short quotes. And so you can remind the principal of that if he tries to have you spend the whole class writing. More is not always better - Also - writing will be improved when teachers can deliver their angle with their style - and students can only grasp so much at once - like trying to stuff someone's face with food because they need nutrition - so remind him of balance as he incorporates all of this writing throughout the school! Oh yes, and writing teachers could share more about this, but I heard that one of the worst things ever was to force students to write something 100 - or 500 times (punishment was associated with the art of writing and this was just bad).

        And so make it your aim to include some writing (quotes - or short phrases, poems, etc.) but also have a plan and draw boundaries. Is there a way you can give 5 minutes of class to writing?
        Hmm...

        Best wishes,

        Yvette (in VA)

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
        >
        > Thank you!
        > Terry

      • priorhouse
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
          Hi again

          Just remember that making time for some writing can be a positive thing (and it may only be for a short season because "this too will pass" lol.

          A few things:
          First, if you have students journal at the end of art class (have them briefly summarize their experience that day- or their thoughts about the lesson, the artist, etc.). This can show students how writing can be a tool that helps in many ways (not just reflecting, but journaling can later be a tool for expressing, assessing, problem solving, grasping life, coping, healing, enjoying a beautiful moment, or just musing). I never read his books, but Louie Lamour had a nice quote that said something about how - not one of his ideas came to him in his head -his ideas only flowed when his pencil began moving! So consider adding in some journaling - even if only 3 or 4 minutes (more is not always better). Oh, and in the research world, some researchers are beginning to keep a running journal (reflexivity - it helps with validity and replication) - and so my point is that the student can gain from this.

          Second, here is an idea:
          1. I would start the class with a quote (or phrase or word) on the board (write it on paper and maybe leave quotes or phrases up where students can reflect on them for the rest of the year) -
          2. have students copy the quote - and then add a drawing to go with it (or two drawings- or add a picture that shows value - or connect the picture to your current lesson - like use dots - line design - show a pattern - etc.).
          3. I would set the timer for 3 or 4 minutes - and along with the picture, encourage students to also write 3 or 4 sentences to reflect on quote. (what does it mean to you - what did the author mean? - what would you add to this phrase in a comic way (or serious), tell what you like and/or do not like about it.

          OR - To mix it up, on other days have students list 6 things they feel about the quote (or art piece presented that day). Or make an idea web - or venn diagram, or write as many words as they can within 3 minutes (about the quote or art style or list of terms for that day).

          Keep in mind that the little exercises with words (or making lists - or word webs) can be quite appealing to students that hate to write (or that have not had the chance to really get into it).

          And again, essay writing is made up of single words and sentences - and so any objective to improve writing should include lots of bite sized nuggets for getting that pen moving.

          Also, in my experience, students love having a few quotes memorized (confidence booster to rattle one off).

          And aren't there some quotes that every student should know?

          Like Churchill's "never, ever give up" or
          "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" (by Acton or Pitt?)
          "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
          I took the one less traveled by,
          And that has made all the difference" Frost
          "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Anonym.
          "The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

          Or you could include fables, idioms, similes, metaphors....
          or misc.:
          Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." ― Dr. Seuss

          "I've learned that people will forget what you said,
          people will forget what you did, but
          people will never forget how you made them feel."
          Maya Angelou

          A pleasure is full grown only when it is remembered.
          C.S. Lewis

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone
          > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
          >
          > Thank you!
          > Terry

        • Mirena Suarez
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
            Creativity Takes Courage, by Henri Matisse.
            Good luck!

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
              Hi Terry,

              I have a few art and literacy projects to share.

              This one is based on idioms. Students illustrate an idiom then say what it really means:
              https://vimeo.com/12236342

              This is an artist statement and photography project:
              http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=402497

              This is a 6 words about me project beginning with their self-portrait and then using Wordfoto app to add words about themselves into their image:
              http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=574457

              Hope this helps in some way:)
              Tricia Fuglestad
              IL

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone
              > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
              >
              > Thank you!
              > Terry

            • jlynch
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
                These samples are fantastic! What a great idea! I will use this idea for my end-of-year work stations...

                Thanks

                Jamie B Lynch

                On Feb 16, 2013, at 11:35 PM, "priorhouse" <priorhouse@...> wrote:

                One last idea - skim the Core Knowledge Series (copies are everywhere) for some ideas.

                For example, below are some sayings from "What your 2nd grader needs to know" and many can connect to art themes or EOA lessons for grades 2 through 12th!

                Where there's a will there's a way.
                Don't judge a book by its cover.
                Don't cry over spilled milk.
                Two heads are better than one.
                A dog is man's best friend.
                Better late than never.
                Haste makes waste.
                Better safe than sorry.
                You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
                Back to the drawing board.
                Cold feet.
                Easier said than done.
                Eaten out of house and home.
                Get a taste of your own medicine.
                Riches can disappear in the blink of an eye.
                Got up on the wrong side of the bed.
                In hot water.
                Keep your fingers crossed.
                Sour Grapes.
                Turn over a new leaf.
                He's a hot head.

                ~~~ few more?
                put his foot in his mouth
                good fences make good neighbors
                uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" wrote:

                > Hi everyone
                > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
                >
                > Thank you!
                > Terry

              • brenda robson
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
                  Such wonderful advise Yvette! For all of us who must "fall in love with change"!

                  Brenda Robson

                  On Feb 16, 2013, at 10:37 PM, "priorhouse" <priorhouse@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  Hmm...

                  Best wishes,

                  Yvette (in VA)

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" wrote:

                  > Hi everyone
                  > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!

                • perigraphics2013
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
                    Writing in relation to a quote could use a graphic organizer or mind map to build on their ideas, a think pair share to add to them, then a ranking idea to get to the best ones. Then complete the writing. Younger students think in more concrete terms. So a compilation of period images relating to the quote could help students develop their minds eye. Drawing or painting a work in relation to those images could reinforce that. Peri Raygor

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone
                    > My assistant principal is upset that the students are failing the state exams on writing, so, in every class he is mandating writing. I have had the students write artist statements, but now he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote and finding 2 pieces of literature that relate to the quote. It seems every week he is coming up with a new mandate. Can anyone help with quote ideas? My head is spinning!
                    >
                    > Thank you!
                    > Terry

                  • S
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013

                      > > Hi everyone
                      > > My assistant principal he wants me to add quotes and interpretation of quotes because the English exam has a section on interpreting a quote

                      Hi Terry, from Hans Hofmann, 1880-1966

                      Art is magic. How is it magic? If creation is not magic the outcome cannot be magic. To worship the product and ignore its development leads to dilettanitism and reactionism. Art cannot result from sophisticated frivolous or supperficial effects.

                      You could of course ellipse some of it if you need.

                      Susan
                      Northeastern PA, USA
                    • MaryAnn F. Kohl
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                        https://www.facebook.com/events/541025745929010/?ref=22

                        Hi Art People. I am giving away 5 free art books, title: Mudworks Bilingual Edition (SP/Eng) on my Facebook event page. You don't have to actually come to the event...just sign up with a "Yes, I'm going" and you will be included in the drawing. On Feb. 28 I'll draw five names randomly from those signed up and mail you your prize!!

                        Just for fun....

                        MaryAnn

                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                        mArYAnN  KoHL
                        maryann@...
                        blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog
                        website: www.brightring.com
                        IBPA Board of Directors
                        Barnes & Noble Parents' Expert Circle
                        NAEYC Live Learning Center presenter

                      • priorhouse
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 21, 2013
                          A few more quotes came my way this week... oh, and ONE MORE LINK to share: http://www.artquotes.net

                          Andy Warhol quotes:
                          (About Campbell's soup) "I used to drink it. I used to have the same lunch every day, for twenty years, I guess, the same thing over and over again."
                          "Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes."
                          "Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art."
                          "I am a deeply superficial person."
                          "I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumors to my dogs."

                          A quote about Warhol (by an art critic) "Warhol turned to photographs of stars, as the Renaissance turned to antiquities, to find images of gods." by David Sylvester, art critic (shared on art quotes net)
                          ~~~~~~~~~
                          "The job of the artist is to always deepen the mystery." Frances Bacon (as shared in R. Genn's blog this week)

                          ~~~~~~~~~
                          "Like a child, I paint before nature with an artless soul and the instincts of my fingertips." Pierre-Auguste Renoir

                          " I am like a small cork, which has fallen into the water and is being carried away by the current." Pierre-Auguste Renoir

                          ~~~~~~~~~
                          "Every true artist has been inspired more by the beauty of lines and color and the relationships between them than by the concrete subject of the picture."
                          Piet Mondrian

                          "The emotion of beauty is always obscured by the appearance of the object. Therefore the object must be eliminated from the picture."
                          Piet Mondrian

                          ~~~~~~~~~

                          The quote attributed to both Matisse and Picasso about Cézanne: "He is the father of us all"

                          another quote about Cezanne
                          "Cezanne, you see, is a sort of God of painting." Henri Matisse

                          ~~~~~~~~

                          My faith is not what I write about or what I paint about, but it is the light by which I see.
                          Flannery O'Conner

                          ~~~~~~~~

                          I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
                          Albert Einstein