Styrofoam art contest (awesome)

  • priorhouse
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2013
      Hey Brandy - Just wanted to follow up with this contest. I shared the details with a group - and had one parent kind of freak out - she thought the styrofoam pieces were littered in the ocean and she wrote me saying she was seriously concerned (and to her credit - the contest website was not that clear in certain parts - I guess).

      Anyhow, this is really such a FUN art contest (and being a certified Padi diver who yearns for the ocean right now- well I like it even more ).

      But the science/art connection is just wonderful - with dozens of physics and marine biology concepts to be tapped. Like how humans cannot go more than 3 or 4 atmospheres (as 33 feet each) without a submarine. Also, as students create their art - thinking of the final "shrunk down" version adds a new challenge (just be sure to use styrofoam glue).

      And contrary to what the concerned parent thought - this IS eco-friendly and has a recycling component as well.

      Thanks again for sharing it!

      ~Mrs. Prior

      PS

      Here is an excerpt from a 2001 article about a deep-sea biology team that lowered styro cups into the ocean - and brought reductions back us fun keepsakes (so this has been going on for a while now)

      "The other night, out in the Indian Ocean, the research team aboard the R/V
      Knorr did what oceanographers invariably do when they're in deep water— they
      lowered a bunch of Styrofoam cups over the side. In their search for hot springs
      on the seafloor, the team had also been lowering more serious gear, of course,
      such as Jason the deep-diving robot, or the water sampler to which they tied the
      cups. But Styrofoam cups make great souvenirs: When you haul them back from the
      deep, you know where they've been.

      The cups and all the decorations you've drawn on them— sharks, erupting undersea
      volcanoes, witty slogans ("My dad went to the bottom of the Indian Ocean, and
      all I got was this lousy cup")— come back very, very small. Styrofoam heads from
      a hat store would work even better than cups, but nobody on the Knorr had
      bothered to bring any of those.
      more here:
      http://discovermagazine.com/2001/aug/featphysics#.UQHyzaVcjVs)