Re: [art_education] Re: Common core curriculum

  • Frank Ayala
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2012
      Thanks for the link!   Great site
      Frank

      Sent from my iPad

      On Dec 21, 2012, at 6:55 AM, Kathy Olson <kathyeolson@...> wrote:

      I'm starting to look at Common Core for my art program as well.  Do a google search and you will find a lot of information out there already.  One great site I found with a full K-12 listing of ideas is:

      Kathy

    • behaztoufik
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 22, 2012
        as artist painter exonorated educator in secondary schools i can say that ! every aptemptement for to mack aby yanger student inderstand any technica belonging to arts drawing or si fine arts skyled : is basen first on the taste coming from the students in it s subjest as perspectives well appreciation in appliquation ; thus und i can say every tast of creative arts works is so attractive for every yanger student who really have the power for to reacht the perfection improuving the control of moudel hand in drawing in iol ar whatever as a technica for to chanlenge basin in. with this a bit of experiment i can add a classical music by the way is the best stimulator for all best results in the field of teatching creative arts
        by BEHAZ TOUFIK
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ayalafart" <ayalafart@...> wrote:

        > So we here at my school are attempting to reach across the various subject areas and come up with ideas for class projects that will require more of the four "C's" (creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration) and DOK (depth of knowledge). We are attempting to prepare the students for the new assessment testing that is around the corner. It will involve more "project based" assignments. Soon the days of bubbling in the answer will be gone. I think that this is great news for art classes and art teachers. I'm already getting many requests for creative ideas from other teachers. We as artist and art teachers sometimes take for granted the fact that we really do think in a creative manner. This can be difficult for others not accustomed to the "creative process"
        > I'm currently attempting to Create projects that will incorporate many other subject areas. One example is for the students to learn one point perspective, create a drawing of the interior of a living room that is tiled. They must also figure out how much tile was used, the cost, factor in percentage of waste etc.etc. I want to support the other disciplines without sacrificing ART FOR ART'S SAKE.
        >
        > HAS ANYONE OUT THERE BEEN WORKING ON SIMILAR PROJECTS. If so, can we share
        > thanks
        > frank

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 23, 2012
          My middle school is using the curriculum from Future City (Future City.org) as an school wide project. I think it would be a good project from 5th to 10th grade, even though it's written for 6th to 8th grade; it would be easy enough to adapt. The curriculum is free, but to enter it would be $25 for an entire school! No matter how classes/teams enter the final competition. A lot of states don't have a competition, or have just one that may not be convenient to you, so I'm not sure how practical entering this would be, but it is a FABULOUS cross curriculum project!
          It was our intention to enter the contest, but the one in Va went belly up this year (after 8 years of existence.) so we decided to continue on with our project and work in another science class- CSI. The kids will finish making the model, and then use their scale city to help prove a series of small crimes. (The clue may be "the witness saw the bank robber as he was coming out the Starbucks", but the model will prove that the there is no Starbucks near the bank and so the witness is lying- but why?!)
          This was a HUGE project! It involved time from the science and English teachers (could have involved the math teacher, but she was not willing to participate.). The biggest issue I had (as with all cross curriculum projects) is not in getting fellow teachers who say they will be involved and having enthusiasm for the idea of the project, it's actually getting them to write the time into their syllabi for their section of the project to happen. There will have to be more summer pre-planning, and I will have to be more clear on my end that the English portion of this project is the English teacher's domain, and the science teacher isn't getting a prewrittten curriculum from me to do her part, she's getting a final rubric by which the students will be graded. The science teacher felt the more put upon by this project than the English teacher. I feel more support by the admin. would have been helpful to allow her to cut some of her current program to inject this project's science needs in there. As it stands, she felt this was just one more thing she had to add to her students plate. She was vocal about how hard this was and how she felt about the additional work, for both her and the students. And it was a legitimate complaint the way it went down this year.
          So there were some pretty significant bumps in the road to my first 4C project that I hope to learn from and avoid in the future. Mostly, have a diagram written out for each member of the "team", Have them sign off on it as soon as it's created- hopefully with plenty of time to adjust their syllabi for the new year. Give them support, make sure they have support of the admin, give gentle & kind reminders as their portion of the project nears. I assumed a lot about this joint effort that I will not assume for future endeavors! All in all, the final result, which nearly it's conclusion, is amazing. I'm so proud about what the kids have learned about city planning, the environmental concerns they are bringing up, the creativity of their model and concepts for their industries and universities. It has been a challenge to make it happen, but I have to say it's been worth it.
          Good luck finding a project (and making it happen!)
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ayalafart" <ayalafart@...> wrote:

          > So we here at my school are attempting to reach across the various subject areas and come up with ideas for class projects that will require more of the four "C's" (creativity, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration) and DOK (depth of knowledge). We are attempting to prepare the students for the new assessment testing that is around the corner. It will involve more "project based" assignments. Soon the days of bubbling in the answer will be gone. I think that this is great news for art classes and art teachers. I'm already getting many requests for creative ideas from other teachers. We as artist and art teachers sometimes take for granted the fact that we really do think in a creative manner. This can be difficult for others not accustomed to the "creative process"
          > I'm currently attempting to Create projects that will incorporate many other subject areas. One example is for the students to learn one point perspective, create a drawing of the interior of a living room that is tiled. They must also figure out how much tile was used, the cost, factor in percentage of waste etc.etc. I want to support the other disciplines without sacrificing ART FOR ART'S SAKE.
          >
          > HAS ANYONE OUT THERE BEEN WORKING ON SIMILAR PROJECTS. If so, can we share
          > thanks
          > frank

        • davinciswife
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2013
            I've found that the acroynm scamper gives a nice framework for thinking skills both in and out of art. k