Re: [art_education] preschool clay projects

  • Yates, Alycia
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2012
      What about a melted snowman? They could roll out a shape, form it into an organic outline like a puddle, then draw in the eyes, carrot, etc? You could even get little sticks to glue on after.

      On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM, ebart_teacher <pregonm@...> wrote:

      Preschool has been added to my K-6 art teaching position this year. I am trying to come up with a clay project that can be fired in the kiln for them. I already do pinch pots with kindergarten. I need something that would not require scoring and slipping and that the kids could work on somewhat independently. I really would like to do something besides a hand print, but have not found any other ideas! Please help!

      --
      Alycia Yates
      Art Instructor

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2012
        We did tree faces one year in clay, and it requires no slipping. (or doesn't have to.) The only danger is if they poke too deeply and then cover it up. Here's the artsonia page. (We only put up one small class. I don't always get all my classes up :)
        http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=262977

        Regards,
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ebart_teacher" wrote:

        Preschool has been added to my K-6 art teaching position this year. I am trying to come up with a clay project that can be fired in the kiln for them. I already do pinch pots with kindergarten. I need something that would not require scoring and slipping and that the kids could work on somewhat independently. I really would like to do something besides a hand print, but have not found any other ideas! Please help!
      • ednakate
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2012
          I did leaf bowls with our pre-K.

          We took large leaves, they pressed them into the clay cut around them with plastic knives or Popsicle sticks. We placed them over a Styrofoam bowl to air dry before firing. You can peel the leaf off or leave it on. When you fire it, it will burn away.
          Alyssa
          San Diego
        • Gerri Paradee
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2012

            Wonderful idea!!  Gerri in Idaho

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 22, 2012
              Hi,
              A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the art teachers around the world.
              Hope our School sites are safe for teachers and students in the near future.

              Kamla
              Chennai,
              India.

            • James Kwasi
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 26, 2012
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, kamla ravikumar <kamla_rk@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the art teachers around the world.
                > Hope our School sites are safe for teachers and students in the near future.
                >
                > Kamla
                > Chennai,
                > India.

                Same to you and Many happy returns.