arts education info & resources from the Natl Endow for the Arts
Thought you’d appreciate this useful arts education information from the National Endowment for the Arts.
National Partnerships, Education
John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Greetings from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) where arts education is an integral part of the agency's funding, content development, and research portfolio. As someone who covers and/or is involved in education, I thought you would appreciate the following information and free resources.
Following are samples from the NEA’s cache of podcasts, artist interviews, research reports, and convenings related to arts education as well as news from our arts education office.
ON THE NEWS FRONT
· On November 27, NEA announced the awarding of 831 grants totaling $23.3 million. Included among those are 70 arts education grants totaling more than $2 million.
· And just the week before, we announced the Education Leaders Institute Alumni Summit taking place December 12 in Chicago. We are looking forward to some great conversations and to generating ideas and making plans for moving forward.
· First Lady Honors National Arts and Humanities Youth Program (NAHYP) Award Recipients. NAHYP is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities.
o Art Works blog posts spotlighting NAHYP award recipients
· NEA Chairman Rocco Landesman announced a new strategy for arts education at the NEA at the national forum of the Arts Education Partnership. His speech is here.
Shakespeare in American Communities (SiAC) is a national theater program of the National Endowment for the Arts in cooperation with Arts Midwest bringing performances and educational activities to audiences across the country. SiAC is now accepting proposals for programming taking place between August 1, 2013 and July 30, 2014. Important dates are:
· Optional intent to apply email: On or before January 16, 2013 (not required or binding)
Application deadline: February 21, 2013
founder and executive director of Imagination Stage, a multi-disciplinary theater arts organization for young people and their families.
· Art Works blog: Taking Note: Skills + Knowledge = 21st-Century Competencies
Reflections by NEA Director of Research and Analysis Sunil Iyengar prompted by his reading of the National Academies’ new report, Education for Life and Work: Developing Transferable Knowledge and Skills in the 21st Century.
WORLD OF RESEARCH
This report examines arts-related variables from four large datasets -- three maintained by the U.S. Department of Education and one by the Department of Labor -- to understand the relationship between arts engagement and positive academic and social outcomes in children and young adults of low socioeconomic status (SES).
· As many of you know, the NEA published The Arts and Human Development: Framing a National Research Agenda for the Arts, Lifelong Learning, and Individual Well-Being in November 2011. Over the next year, the NEA convened a series of webinars including:
The September 19, 2012, Task Force webinar focused on the question "Can the arts play a role in transforming struggling schools and improving student outcomes?"
The August 1, 2012, Task Force webinar focused on how arts educators can reach youth who are immersed in today's interconnected, multimedia environment.
Thanks for your time,
Assistant Director of Public Affairs, Media Relations
National Endowment for the Arts
1100 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Room 525
Washington, DC 20506
This e-mail message is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. This message may contain trade secrets, attorney-client communication, or other privileged and confidential information. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination, reproduction or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the Sender and delete the material from any computer.