Museum of Glass in Tacoma

  • D. Camp
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2002
      After much fanfare, publicity, and speculation (what is that funny shaped
      object on the waterway) the Museum of Glass opened in Tacoma this past
      summer.

      I have always found glassblowing interesting. As a child we often went to a
      small crafters village (that no longer exists) to watch the glassblowers at
      work. Also, having grown up in Washington state, one sees the works of Dale
      Chihuly everywhere, or so it seems. We had visited the outside displays at
      the Museum of Glass on several occasions, but had not actually visited the
      museum itself until this past weekend. I will have to say I was very
      disappointed. Of the three displys in the Gallery, only one contained any
      glass work. One was a kinetic sculpture, the other contained oil on canvas,
      collages, etc. If I had wanted to see paintings, etc I would have gone to
      the Art museum that was just a couple of blocks away. My husband and I both
      agree however that the Hot Shop Amphitheater was well worth visiting, as was
      the theater. They also had one interesting display that was in the hallway
      leading to the restrooms that showed how the one large Dale Chilhuly display
      was put together. In my opinion if you want to see some neat glass work
      don't spend your money on entrance to the museum, instead visit the outside
      displays such as the glass bridge, or visit the Federal Courthouse that is
      located just across the pedestrian bridge. Here in the main lobby (it's the
      old Union Station) they have a large number of Chihuly pieces on display and
      it's free.

      Diana