Re: Wet media paper

  • Larry Seiler
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2012
      yea...so much expense, especially supplying one district K-12...too much on one thing a detriment to other.

      I eventually eliminated watercolor altogether.  Well...traditional.
      I found it cheaper and even easier to teach methods using gouache...and you can buy Yarka 12 40ml plastic pods for $14

      which lasts a long time.

      Chromacryl with pumps...good value...

      and as for tempera using up what I have left of the old Crayola powdered color.  Really liked those, mixing the consistency I liked storing in ketchup plastic squeeze bottles.

      The tempera worked well used like watercolor, and I would tape freezewrap paper shiny side up as palettes that were easy to clean.  If I had multiple classes, they were easy to wipe with damp sponge for next class, and my ketchup bottles could put enough at the top for students to use.

      a lot of illustrative techniques of applying washes of color over ballpoint pen drawings stretched my budget and developed some good little artists.

      Never was a big fan of using tempera so thick it cracked on paper anyway...but tempera acts very much like watercolor, the color is good...and goes a long way when thinned with water and applied as such.

      Thus...my 80lb white sulphite paper has proved to be fine...best if washes of color simply do not extend all to the end of paper...but regardless...if the paper has a curl when dry, I show students how to take the 12"x 18" sheet of paper (or smaller) to the flat end edge of a table.  Grip it curled side up, and rub along the side (much like dragging paper strips across a scissors to curl).  Done with care...you easily draw the curl right out of those paintings.  They flatten easily enough and that's that.  Of course if you're painting thick tempera that cracks, you can't do that...

      My Chromacryl also can be used thin enough to imitate watercolor...or as is for murals and regular easel painting.

      --
      artist's website- http://larryseiler.com
      my art blog- http://larryseiler.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2012
        I keep a regular iron in my class room and we actually iron work that has curled to much- it only takes a moment to make our papers flat again.

        M Lerner

        Art teacher
        Welsh Hills School

        Sent from my iPhone