RE: [art_education] Wet media paper

  • David Exner
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012

      You may want to see if a local printer has any sheets of bristol board or index weight paper.  If you are ordering from an Art catalogue, you could get by with 80lb white sulphite.

      Peace,

      David Exner

      We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.  Winston Churchill

      David G. Exner
      Art Teacher & Art Club Co-Adviser

      Community High School, District 94
      West Chicago
      (630) 876-6407

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
          It may sound weird, but to "get by" with watercolor on thinner paper I iron them on warm stacked 3 or 4 high when complete and they are flat as a board afterwards.  Watercolor paper is so expensive and heavy 80lb paper works fine when I use the iron.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
            I've also used a variety of papers for painting. They all respond based on their quality. There is the 80lb. manila and the white sulphite paper I purchased at Sax Art Supplies, tagboard, student grade watercolor paper, construction paper, and even standard copy paper in a pinch.

            Here's what I think...the thicker the paper, the better the durability during painting. However, my students have used manila paper and copy paper with ink wash and have had decent results. The problem lies in rubbing with the brush. The more the child scrubs or rubs the loaded brush on a surface, the more the paper disintegrates.

            So I have students do a series of paint exercises on cheap heavy paper, like manila, (not thin newsprint) until they are fairly comfortable with the medium, and then there will be less scraping and rubbing when its time to work on a graded painting assignment.

            Also, in reference to paper curling up, all papers curl up when they get wet and then dry. Watercolor paper can be taped down around the edges with masking tape or painter's tape on a drawing board or desk to minimize the curl, but there is still a curl. So I have used heavy flat boards (drawing boards) to flatten the work after it dries and I have been successful with this most of the time. A note about heavy tempera on paper, it cracks.

            Miki Rodriguez

          • Larry Seiler
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2012
              yea...so much expense, especially supplying one district K-12...too much on one thing a detriment to other.

              I eventually eliminated watercolor altogether.  Well...traditional.
              I found it cheaper and even easier to teach methods using gouache...and you can buy Yarka 12 40ml plastic pods for $14

              which lasts a long time.

              Chromacryl with pumps...good value...

              and as for tempera using up what I have left of the old Crayola powdered color.  Really liked those, mixing the consistency I liked storing in ketchup plastic squeeze bottles.

              The tempera worked well used like watercolor, and I would tape freezewrap paper shiny side up as palettes that were easy to clean.  If I had multiple classes, they were easy to wipe with damp sponge for next class, and my ketchup bottles could put enough at the top for students to use.

              a lot of illustrative techniques of applying washes of color over ballpoint pen drawings stretched my budget and developed some good little artists.

              Never was a big fan of using tempera so thick it cracked on paper anyway...but tempera acts very much like watercolor, the color is good...and goes a long way when thinned with water and applied as such.

              Thus...my 80lb white sulphite paper has proved to be fine...best if washes of color simply do not extend all to the end of paper...but regardless...if the paper has a curl when dry, I show students how to take the 12"x 18" sheet of paper (or smaller) to the flat end edge of a table.  Grip it curled side up, and rub along the side (much like dragging paper strips across a scissors to curl).  Done with care...you easily draw the curl right out of those paintings.  They flatten easily enough and that's that.  Of course if you're painting thick tempera that cracks, you can't do that...

              My Chromacryl also can be used thin enough to imitate watercolor...or as is for murals and regular easel painting.

              --
              artist's website- http://larryseiler.com
              my art blog- http://larryseiler.blogspot.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2012
                I keep a regular iron in my class room and we actually iron work that has curled to much- it only takes a moment to make our papers flat again.

                M Lerner

                Art teacher
                Welsh Hills School

                Sent from my iPhone