Re: [art_education] help with fabric collage

  • Clay Lady
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
      I once did a quilt project w/ 8th graders. We went over different patterns, they can print the patterns from the internet, then cut out pieces of fabric & glue them to tagboard. This is the short version. It has been quite a few years , but I remember the kids doing well & having some great projects.
      Good luck
      Retsy

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
        I do fabric collage with many age levels every year. I use cardboard as the backing as we have a teeny tiny budget so buying extra stuff is not practical. The kids are more than happy to bring in an empty cereal box.

        Students sketch a picture and then create it in fabric. We use white glue to adhere the images to the cardboard.

        We have also used it for weaving, in mixed media to add texture and as covers for hand made books. One of the Girl Scout troops even took some of the larger pieces and made tote bags that they sold at the school craft show. We have a very generous Interior Designer who brings me bags of samples several times a year.
        Have fun!
        Alyssa

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I am looking for a lesson which would use fabric (I recently acquired a lot of fabric pieces). I was thinking of a fabric collage of some sort. Any ideas for the middle school level)????
        >
        > I would appreciate any ideas!!!!! I am overwhelmed after the first month of school.
        >
        > Thanks so much!!!
        >
        > Terry
        > South Bronx, NY

      • Rashmie Jaaju
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
          We did tape resist art (zentangle-style) on fabric...

          We've also made fabric collage by sticking pieces of satin ribbons and other scraps on contact paper.

          Cheers,
          Rashmie

          On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:56 AM, ednakate <h8n2w8@...> wrote:

          I do fabric collage with many age levels every year. I use cardboard as the backing as we have a teeny tiny budget so buying extra stuff is not practical. The kids are more than happy to bring in an empty cereal box.

          Students sketch a picture and then create it in fabric. We use white glue to adhere the images to the cardboard.

          We have also used it for weaving, in mixed media to add texture and as covers for hand made books. One of the Girl Scout troops even took some of the larger pieces and made tote bags that they sold at the school craft show. We have a very generous Interior Designer who brings me bags of samples several times a year.
          Have fun!
          Alyssa

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I am looking for a lesson which would use fabric (I recently acquired a lot of fabric pieces). I was thinking of a fabric collage of some sort. Any ideas for the middle school level)????
          >
          > I would appreciate any ideas!!!!! I am overwhelmed after the first month of school.
          >
          > Thanks so much!!!
          >
          > Terry
          > South Bronx, NY

        • kamla ravikumar
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2012
          Hi,
          I am writing from Chennai ,India.
          In India Elephants were used by Maharajas to ride to and from their palaces in the days when India had princely states. .It was customary to decorate the Elephants with ornate brocade fabric and these elephants were specially assigned for the Maharajah's duty.
          The teacher could ask the students to draw an Elephant and then use colourful fabric to decorate the area where the seat is placed for people to sit.The ornate brocade material went across the body from left to right and hung down  between the feet area.(see attached image) .On this fabric was placed the gold plated seat of the Maharah.
          This exercise will teach students to draw an Indian Elephant and also use of fabric on the drawing as a collage.
          Images are taken from the website of Shutterstock.
          Hope this helps.

          Kamla
          Chennai,India