Re: [art_education] help with fabric collage

  • Clay Lady
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
      I once did a quilt project w/ 8th graders. We went over different patterns, they can print the patterns from the internet, then cut out pieces of fabric & glue them to tagboard. This is the short version. It has been quite a few years , but I remember the kids doing well & having some great projects.
      Good luck
      Retsy

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
        http://mofa.cvatd.fsu.edu/resources/archive/pages/learning/objectguides/arpillera1.pdf
        Arpilleras were traditional fabric art wall hangings that became a political statement in the 70s. Depending on the age of the artists, you would go into less or more details about their creation, which was made as political resistance in the 70-80s to the government death sqauds that terrorized the people of Chili at the time. They were sometimes made as secret messages to tell locals were to meet- one person would hang that particular arpillera in the corner of their store/seller's tent and then they would all know to go there. They are colorful, bright, easy to glue or sew, and generally come out representing the art it was made to look like.

        Another fabric art form you could try is creating Haida Button blankets. I LOVE Haida art :), and we're doing a section on them now. We're doing a copper project, but their blankets and wall hangings are quite stunning-
        http://www.masterfile.com/stock-photography/image/846-03165750/HAIDA-BUTTON-BLANKET-GRIZZLY-BEAR-DESIGN-ADAPTED-FROM-19TH-CENTURY-HAIDA-TUNIC-BRITISH-COLUMBIA-CANADA
        The last time I did this with kids we used dots of paint to represent the buttons, and glue(younger) or sewed (older) on the images they cut out of a shape of fabric.
        Have fun!
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I am looking for a lesson which would use fabric (I recently acquired a lot of fabric pieces). I was thinking of a fabric collage of some sort. Any ideas for the middle school level)????
        >
        > I would appreciate any ideas!!!!! I am overwhelmed after the first month of school.
        >
        > Thanks so much!!!
        >
        > Terry
        > South Bronx, NY

      • Denise Pannell
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012

          I had an Artist in Residence who taught the kids to make a fabric collage. The theme was the Wetlands (due to where the school is located) and each student drew either an animal or plant from the region. They drew on white paper, traced on to Wonder Under, and that was ironed to the back of the fabric. They then cut out their fabric shapes and these were ironed to the background fabric and quilted. I hope this makes sense! I do have photos that I can share, if wanted. The panels turned out stunning!

          Denise Pannell

          http://mrspicassosartroom.blogspot.com/

           Hi everyone,

          I am looking for a lesson which would use fabric (I recently acquired a lot of fabric pieces). I was thinking of a fabric collage of some sort. Any ideas for the middle school level)????

          Switch to:

          .

        • Marty

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
              Look at the work of artist Faith Ringgold.
              My seventh graders love making story quilts! I give each kid a muslin square, but could be any plain light colored fabric, 16" or so, and they can paint, draw, write their story and make a patchwork border. Kids love sewing!
              good luck

              Kieren dutcher

            • ednakate
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                I do fabric collage with many age levels every year. I use cardboard as the backing as we have a teeny tiny budget so buying extra stuff is not practical. The kids are more than happy to bring in an empty cereal box.

                Students sketch a picture and then create it in fabric. We use white glue to adhere the images to the cardboard.

                We have also used it for weaving, in mixed media to add texture and as covers for hand made books. One of the Girl Scout troops even took some of the larger pieces and made tote bags that they sold at the school craft show. We have a very generous Interior Designer who brings me bags of samples several times a year.
                Have fun!
                Alyssa

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone,
                >
                > I am looking for a lesson which would use fabric (I recently acquired a lot of fabric pieces). I was thinking of a fabric collage of some sort. Any ideas for the middle school level)????
                >
                > I would appreciate any ideas!!!!! I am overwhelmed after the first month of school.
                >
                > Thanks so much!!!
                >
                > Terry
                > South Bronx, NY

              • Rashmie Jaaju
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2012
                  We did tape resist art (zentangle-style) on fabric...

                  We've also made fabric collage by sticking pieces of satin ribbons and other scraps on contact paper.

                  Cheers,
                  Rashmie

                  On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:56 AM, ednakate <h8n2w8@...> wrote:

                  I do fabric collage with many age levels every year. I use cardboard as the backing as we have a teeny tiny budget so buying extra stuff is not practical. The kids are more than happy to bring in an empty cereal box.

                  Students sketch a picture and then create it in fabric. We use white glue to adhere the images to the cardboard.

                  We have also used it for weaving, in mixed media to add texture and as covers for hand made books. One of the Girl Scout troops even took some of the larger pieces and made tote bags that they sold at the school craft show. We have a very generous Interior Designer who brings me bags of samples several times a year.
                  Have fun!
                  Alyssa

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "fufuyina" <terrylynny@...> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone,
                  >
                  > I am looking for a lesson which would use fabric (I recently acquired a lot of fabric pieces). I was thinking of a fabric collage of some sort. Any ideas for the middle school level)????
                  >
                  > I would appreciate any ideas!!!!! I am overwhelmed after the first month of school.
                  >
                  > Thanks so much!!!
                  >
                  > Terry
                  > South Bronx, NY

                • kamla ravikumar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Hi,
                  I am writing from Chennai ,India.
                  In India Elephants were used by Maharajas to ride to and from their palaces in the days when India had princely states. .It was customary to decorate the Elephants with ornate brocade fabric and these elephants were specially assigned for the Maharajah's duty.
                  The teacher could ask the students to draw an Elephant and then use colourful fabric to decorate the area where the seat is placed for people to sit.The ornate brocade material went across the body from left to right and hung down  between the feet area.(see attached image) .On this fabric was placed the gold plated seat of the Maharah.
                  This exercise will teach students to draw an Indian Elephant and also use of fabric on the drawing as a collage.
                  Images are taken from the website of Shutterstock.
                  Hope this helps.

                  Kamla
                  Chennai,India