Re: Resources for student management, classroom/shop safety and pare

  • Larry Seiler
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2012
      I have been employing the practices of a book recommended a month ago or so, and modifying my teaching management.  I have seen some definite changes...attitudes among my students, and it is catching the attention of some of the other staff.

      The book, "Discipline Without Stress Punishments or Rewards- how Teachers and Parents Promote Responsibility & Learning" by Dr. Marvin Marshall..

      http://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Without-Stress®-Punishments-Rewards/dp/0970060629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348491727&sr=8-1&keywords=Dr.+Marvin+Marshall

      I teach K-12 art...and though I started in 1979...took a break to paint and teach workshops and re-entered the classroom...and have perhaps 4-5 years more til I likely retire, I spent near $80 on a Yacker Tracker.  A stop and go light that has sensitivity to various decibel levels you determine, has a siren if you should wish to use it.  It tracks the number of red lights...and can be re-set for each class.  I use consequences at elementary and middle school such as putting materials away, lights off and heads down if the red light goes off four times in a class period.  Amazing how the students have kept an eye on it...thus visually letting them know how loud they might be.

      I can say I can now play music at a soft/moderate level and hear it, the kids are more focused on work...and even my substitute teacher last week was amazed!!!

      Yacker Tracker-

      good luck..

    • LINDA WOODS
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2012
        Larry,
        are you using the forum on Marvin Marshall's website? Did you know there is one? I need to set aside a definite time to read the posts and think of some questions to pose on that forum as I also implement the system. It's a learning curve for ME as well as my students, but yes, Definitely improvement. I took two days to really explain it, read stories about the levels of behavior to the little kids (about some fictitious goings on at "The Rainbow School" that told about the students at that school exemplifying those levels...he sells it on is site for $9.00) Anyway, now all I have to do is say, What level are you on when kids are disruptive, and they know what I mean. I hear other kids questioning kids. Have you had to go to the essays much yet? I've only used them twice.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Larry Seiler <lseiler.artist@...> wrote:

        > I have been employing the practices of a book recommended a month ago or
        > so, and modifying my teaching management. I have seen some definite
        > changes...attitudes among my students, and it is catching the attention of
        > some of the other staff.
        >
        > The book, "Discipline Without Stress Punishments or Rewards- how Teachers
        > and Parents Promote Responsibility & Learning" by Dr. Marvin Marshall..
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Without-Stress
        > ®-Punishments-Rewards/dp/0970060629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348491727&sr=8-1&keywords=Dr.+Marvin+Marshall
        >
        > I teach K-12 art...and though I started in 1979...took a break to paint and
        > teach workshops and re-entered the classroom...and have perhaps 4-5 years
        > more til I likely retire, I spent near $80 on a Yacker Tracker. A stop and
        > go light that has sensitivity to various decibel levels you determine, has
        > a siren if you should wish to use it. It tracks the number of red
        > lights...and can be re-set for each class. I use consequences at
        > elementary and middle school such as putting materials away, lights off and
        > heads down if the red light goes off four times in a class period. Amazing
        > how the students have kept an eye on it...thus visually letting them know
        > how loud they might be.
        >
        > I can say I can now play music at a soft/moderate level and hear it, the
        > kids are more focused on work...and even my substitute teacher last week
        > was amazed!!!
        >
        > Yacker Tracker-
        > http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Advantage-CTU3030-Yacker-Tracker/dp/B007FIAX9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348491965&sr=8-1&keywords=yacker+tracker
        >
        > good luck..

      • Larry Seiler
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2012

          Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:34 am (PDT) . Posted by:

          "LINDA WOODS" lindwood@...

          Larry,
          are you using the forum on Marvin Marshall's website?
          I visited quickly once, will have to go back and look at it in-depth.
          It's a learning curve for ME as well as my students, but yes, Definitely improvement. I took two days to really explain it, read stories about the levels of behavior to the little kids
          I picked up several of the older children classic books recommended thru interloan, and read them identifying each behavior group, and have a chart up on my blackboard.  It is a learning curve definitely, training myself after near 30 years as well...in that this is a completely different generation unaccustomed to the discipline I had as a young man!
          Anyway, now all I have to do is say, What level are you on when kids are disruptive, and they know what I mean. I hear other kids questioning kids. Have you had to go to the essays much yet? I've only used them twice.
          I have had one student write the essay thus far, but at the bidding of another teacher I removed "Essay" off the form Dr. Marshall provides so that writing itself is not seen as punishment.  Instead I simply have "Identifying & Raising Responsibility"
          I suspect that same student will be writing it again soon, then the next step.  Otherwise, it has been going relatively well, and comparatively well to the past couple years!
          Larry
        • Larry Seiler
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2012

            Sorry how your questions and my responses were mish mashed together.  I should have used the greater than symbol heading your questions to separate.  I had sentence spaces and highlighted your questions...but none of that transferred in the send.

            Larry

          • Joe Carrier
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2012
              No problem...we made it work...Thank you

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 2012
                Larry, thanks for the feedback on your end as you implement the Raise Responsibility System.  I love your idea of changing the forms to NOT say ESSAY.  It does sound like punishment.

                Linda Woods
                Visit my NEW photography website!