  • bill merrill
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2002
      I was also speaking of Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona.  I have never encountered nothing like you describe in those states.  I have been associated with galleries and schools in all of those states.  The Archie Bray Foundation in Helena, Montana is the most famous Ceramic studios.  It has had artists from Japan (Hamada fo example): From England(Bernard Leach), Maria Martinez from New Mexico, visitors from all over the world there as artists-in-residence and as visitors.  The culture is westewrn in nature, but the attitude is open and honest.  No Bull____ goes on there,  Therer are so many other places like that.  Anderson Ranch in Aspen, Colorado.  I guess I have been fortunate to not run intio cultures or prejudice like you describe.  I have former students teaching at Rhode Island school of Design, schools in Colorado,California, Wyoming, Washington and many other colleges, university and High schools.  One thing they are not and that is prejudicial in any way.  You maay be unfortunate to have lived in an area and unfortunately ran into situations that no one wants in ones life.  We do what we feel is best for our art and our personal lives.  Just keep doing art (whatever), the best is still in you.

      Bill   bmerrill@...