Framing question?

  • John Kaluzynski
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2012
      Hi, Y'all.
      Getting ready for a new year, and I would like to create a student gallery in our BOE's main hallway. I would like the gallery to have a finished, formal look. At the same time, I would like to be able to rotate student work easily. In the past, I have seen art frames that come with a pre-cut mat and also have a hinged back so that art can be changed quickly, but I am having some difficulty finding a supplier for this product (can find photo sized, but not art sized).

      Anyone ever purchased these frames? Know where I might find some?

      Thanks.

      John
      Turkey Hill School
      Orange, CT

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2012
        I don't know here to buy them, but is making them an option?
        I've done this for my kids' art, and we took whatever size frame we were using, permanently adhered the mat to the inside of the frame and glued doll hinges to the cardboard/wood panel backing. I continued to use the folding clips until they broke, and then I would use strips of duck tape. Not gorgeous from the back, but it always looks good from the front :) You do have to take them off the wall each time to change them.
        If that's not an option, and you can permanently adhere the frame to the wall- get two frames, turn them back to back and hinge them together. Glue or nail the bottom frame to the wall securely. Keep them closed by gluing rare earth magnets to opposite spots on the frame (incredibly strong but not impossible to break open:). You'd be taping the art work in, from the back of the piece to the back of the mat so plastic coat it (tape over the mat so it doesn't tear when applying and reapplying new art work- this is true not matter what method of hinging you use), or if it's a shallow 3-d piece, you could adhere it to the wall/ inner frame. Either way they don't lock. BUT I suppose you could hide a tiny lock on the top of the frame, that is depending on the height of the frame and the size of the piece, you might not see.
        Good luck finding them if you don't have time to make them yourself.
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, John Kaluzynski <aikiman@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Y'all.
        > Getting ready for a new year, and I would like to create a student gallery in our BOE's main hallway. I would like the gallery to have a finished, formal look. At the same time, I would like to be able to rotate student work easily. In the past, I have seen art frames that come with a pre-cut mat and also have a hinged back so that art can be changed quickly, but I am having some difficulty finding a supplier for this product (can find photo sized, but not art sized).
        >
        > Anyone ever purchased these frames? Know where I might find some?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > John
        > Turkey Hill School
        > Orange, CT
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

      • Meryl
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2012
          This  catalog sells frames where you can easily change the art. I have also seen them at Target
          Meryl

          Sent from my iPad

          On Aug 26, 2012, at 8:35 AM, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

          I don't know here to buy them, but is making them an option?
          I've done this for my kids' art, and we took whatever size frame we were using, permanently adhered the mat to the inside of the frame and glued doll hinges to the cardboard/wood panel backing. I continued to use the folding clips until they broke, and then I would use strips of duck tape. Not gorgeous from the back, but it always looks good from the front :) You do have to take them off the wall each time to change them.
          If that's not an option, and you can permanently adhere the frame to the wall- get two frames, turn them back to back and hinge them together. Glue or nail the bottom frame to the wall securely. Keep them closed by gluing rare earth magnets to opposite spots on the frame (incredibly strong but not impossible to break open:). You'd be taping the art work in, from the back of the piece to the back of the mat so plastic coat it (tape over the mat so it doesn't tear when applying and reapplying new art work- this is true not matter what method of hinging you use), or if it's a shallow 3-d piece, you could adhere it to the wall/ inner frame. Either way they don't lock. BUT I suppose you could hide a tiny lock on the top of the frame, that is depending on the height of the frame and the size of the piece, you might not see.
          Good luck finding them if you don't have time to make them yourself.
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, John Kaluzynski <aikiman@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Y'all.
          > Getting ready for a new year, and I would like to create a student gallery in our BOE's main hallway. I would like the gallery to have a finished, formal look. At the same time, I would like to be able to rotate student work easily. In the past, I have seen art frames that come with a pre-cut mat and also have a hinged back so that art can be changed quickly, but I am having some difficulty finding a supplier for this product (can find photo sized, but not art sized).
          >
          > Anyone ever purchased these frames? Know where I might find some?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > John
          > Turkey Hill School
          > Orange, CT
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone

        • Susan Michael
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2012
            http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/quick-frame-253708/ I like these – the glass edge is rounded instead of sharp. Susan

            Hi, Y'all.
            > Getting ready for a new year, and I would like to create a
            student gallery in our BOE's main hallway. I would like the gallery to have a finished, formal look. At the same time, I would like to be able to rotate student work easily. In the past, I have seen art frames that come with a pre-cut mat and also have a hinged back so that art can be changed quickly, but I am having some difficulty finding a supplier for this product (can find photo sized, but not art sized).

            > Anyone ever purchased these frames?
            Know where I might find some?

            > Thanks.

            John
            > Turkey Hill School
            > Orange, CT
            >
            > Sent from my
            iPhone

          • Susan Michael
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 26, 2012
            • teach2children
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 26, 2012

                This might be what you're looking for.  I've never used them, but the idea of saving time framing is appealing.

                http://www.vat19.com/dvds/lil-davinci-store-display-art-cabinet.cfm

                http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=lil%20davinci%20frame&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alil%20davinci%20frame#

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, John Kaluzynski <aikiman@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Y'all.
                > Getting ready for a new year, and I would like to create a student gallery in our BOE's main hallway. I would like the gallery to have a finished, formal look. At the same time, I would like to be able to rotate student work easily. In the past, I have seen art frames that come with a pre-cut mat and also have a hinged back so that art can be changed quickly, but I am having some difficulty finding a supplier for this product (can find photo sized, but not art sized).
                >
                > Anyone ever purchased these frames? Know where I might find some?
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > John
                > Turkey Hill School
                > Orange, CT
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone

              • aliteachesart
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2012
                  Hi John,
                  I've had these in the past- I think we got them from Sacs or another supplier- check in the furniture part of catalogs. They were really expensive though. I use those plastic frames with the cardboard back- they are easy to change out and you can put collage inside, plus they are cheap. Hope that helps, Ali pk-4

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, John Kaluzynski <aikiman@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, Y'all.
                  > Getting ready for a new year, and I would like to create a student gallery in our BOE's main hallway. I would like the gallery to have a finished, formal look. At the same time, I would like to be able to rotate student work easily. In the past, I have seen art frames that come with a pre-cut mat and also have a hinged back so that art can be changed quickly, but I am having some difficulty finding a supplier for this product (can find photo sized, but not art sized).
                  >
                  > Anyone ever purchased these frames? Know where I might find some?
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > John
                  > Turkey Hill School
                  > Orange, CT