Re: Looking for one page artist bios

  • LINDA WOODS
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
      "The Annotated Mona Lisa" comes to mind. It's a wonderful "in a nutshell" type book. Google that one and check it out.

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Tina Vercelli <tinav326@...> wrote:

      > I'm wanting to incorporate an reading/writing assignment into each week's lesson plan to help cover some of the common core standards. I'm looking for quick one page bios over famous artists that can be introduced each week. Does anyone know of a book or website? I would like to have one for each week of school if possible.
      >
      > Thanks for your recommendations.

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
        "Lives of the artist: Masterpieces, Messes (and what the neighbors thought)" by K. Krull . I like all the "lives.. " series. They are slightly longer than one page; actually, if you took out the great illustrations, maybe not- maybe it's just about a page. At any rate, it's great and talked about several artists I had never learned about in school, like Sofonisba Anguguissola, one of the only female Renaissance artist, and William Johnson, an African American painter. The others should be well known to most teachers, so it's not all about obscure artists :)
        Regards,
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Tina Vercelli <tinav326@...> wrote:

        > I'm wanting to incorporate an reading/writing assignment into each week's lesson plan to help cover some of the common core standards. I'm looking for quick one page bios over famous artists that can be introduced each week. Does anyone know of a book or website? I would like to have one for each week of school if possible.
        >
        > Thanks for your recommendations.

      • priorhouse
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
          Tina - I have two suggestions.
          First,
          one artist bio book that I have had for a while (and have not given away when sorting through the books again and again) is the book
          Let's Meet Famous Artists, which features 19 artists - ISBN 0513020500

          The bios are each a good page and a half - but they could be reduced to one. Each artist bio also has an activity sheet and then a question/evaluation sheet (with about 6 questions for reflection and review). I have sometimes just used the question sheet for small group art talks. Even though I only use this resource occasionally - it is nice to have as an option for certain lessons.

          http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Famous-Artists-Harriet-Kinghorn/dp/0513020500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345087048&sr=8-1&keywords=0513020500

          ~~~~

          Second, I have a very unique set of 9 x 12 art prints (think they originally came in a set of 50, and I have 30+ that someone gave me). The pics have nice artist bios on the back- written by Edwin Seaver.

          I think it may be an out of print set - but someone just sold a set of them on ebay for 14.99 (here is the link - it is the second feedback line). So you may be able to check online for some sites for used copies.

          Here are examples of a few:
          -"Mother and Child" by Gari Melchers (American School 1860-1932)
          Bio on the Reverse by Edwin Seaver...

          -"Deborah and Nietzsche" by Gladys Rockmore Davis (American School 1901--) Bio on Reverse by Edwin Seaver...

          -"In The Greenhouse" by Edouard Manet (French School (1832-883)
          Bio on the Reverse by Edwin Seaver...

          BTW- I still have some time off this month and I may be able to scan my copies in - if I do - I will send you a link with the pdf of the art bios I have. This guy Mr. Seaver is pretty knowledgable, although his verbose writing style is not my preference, the bios are still great and have fun little tidbits - and they are succinct at one page. I will be in touch if I get them done.

          Happy Planning to you!