FINALLY, I am reading "Discipline without stress, punishment or rewards"

  • LINDA WOODS
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2012
      This book is awesome. Marvin Marshall is incredibly smart about what motivates people, teaching kids to be responsible, and to give you ways to reduce stress for you and your kids in the classroom. Google it. I found a copy on Amazon for 6.95. GREAT book before school starts. I am soooooooooooooooo doing his "Raise Responsibility System," Starting the year with it. Rewards just don't work. I put a group of four wild 2nd graders on behavior slips last year. Instantly their behavior changed after many attempts to get them to behave better in a variety of ways. I couldn't believe how fast they all shaped up, how much those check plus marks meant to them. After 5 weeks, I took them off of the behavior slips as they did not need them any more. They were AWESOME...working, quiet, listening, etc. But to my utter surprise, there were BIG TEARS!!!! Sobbing from one boy. "Oh no, please, you can't stop. Noooooooo not yet!!!"
      I told his mom what happened, and she was so disheartened. We agreed that he's not doing any of this better behavior for any intrinsic motivational reasons. It's all external reward. Take away the reward, and what do you have? And yes, as soon as they were off the behavior slips, the hyper crazy silly behavior returned. This book was written for today's kids in classrooms. Google this book and read about it. Have any of you been using his sytem? It sounds so simple, and it's teaching kids what they are not learning in other places. I can't wait to start it.
    • reens@semol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2012
        Is it for all grades or just EL?
      • Julie Casebourn
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2012
          There are no cheap copies on Amazon anymore..they are all quite expensive.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2012
            one of the libraries around here has it-
            probably the older edition- am waitng for it....

            donna

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15, 2012
              I know, it is expensive! But there is a download and read on your computer version that is 17.95. I actually purchased that one first, read half of it that way and then found a 6.95 copy on Amazon, so I bought the book, too. Yes, it will work for all ages.