Re: Sketchbook Class & Painting 101

  • priorhouse
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2012

      11.
      Two-Point Perspective
      12.
      Portraiture No Training
      13.
      Portraiture With Training
      14. Artist Research
      15. Animation

      ~~~ Also, a while ago I found an online site that had really good sketching ideas- if I find the link I will send it later, but two things to share from it....
      While making whisper light lines (which were important for certain lessons he had)- they would have to stand at the door to show their sheet - if the student in the back of the room could see it, well it was not light enough - not whisper light!

      He had students make a grid in the back of their sketchbook (last page). Using a ruler, they each make about one inch sized boxes. The grid is used to draw three quick drawings at the start of each class. Anything goes and any pencil can be used, but many times students practice a recently learned technique (like gesture lines, overlapping, different pressure, 3-D, etc.)

      Try to keep it to three per class because they tend to give more care to what they make. Students can then share with a partner - and he suggested that if a student could not identify the picture - a title was written in, but if the picture was guessed correctly (or just obvious) they did not have to title it. Sometimes we shared as a group or some days we do not have the time for the three pictures, but in the beginning of the year it is a rich way to start the class with a consistent thing. I highly suggest using this grid idea - because it warms kids up right away and settles the class fast. Also, it can be used for a sponge filler if needed. And - it helps the teacher learn a lot about ability, progression, interest, and creativity or talent. It can also warm up the mind for and have cognitive perks.

      ~Mrs.Prior in VA

      PS I have a list of 50 things I think every student needs to draw and/or paint (IMO). It was just a list I threw together for our drama club that starts with art... (Of course there is more to cover than just 50 items- but here are "my" top 50:(http://dashrva.blogspot.com/).