Inuit Art - Printmaking Site

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2012
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Nice to see that Getty list is still functioning (Thanks for posting
      your student art, Mike. VERY nice!).

      I have a collection of links to share (suggestions in our Sunday comic
      pages). thought I would start with this one from this past Sunday. I
      need to check my list of the others to see if they are still active
      (one I know is no longer on line).

      Inuit Prints from Cape Dorset
      http://www.civilization.ca/capedorsetprints/introduction/

      From the site:
      "The Canadian Museum of Civilization purchased its first contemporary
      Inuit carvings in 1953. For more than 50 years, the Museum has
      continuously supported contemporary Inuit art through an active and
      evolving program of exhibiting, collecting, research and publishing.
      The relationship between Inuit artists and the Museum continues today.

      Printmaking was introduced in the Arctic in the late 1950s. The Museum
      helped this new art flourish by acquiring complete annual collections
      of Inuit prints, which formed the basis of exhibitions at home and
      abroad...."

      I did printmaking units with my middle school students inspired by
      contemporary prints of the Inuit and North West Coast Native
      Americans. This looks like a good source of information (many sites I
      used are no longer on line - or URL's have changed).

      For my friend, Ann - you will like this site. I know you are reading
      (smile). When it comes to printmaking, you are a master!

      P.S. Reminder to Getty members to remove email addresses of members in
      your posts before you click "Send". All you have to do is scroll down
      and see if your email program includes the address of the original
      sender. Your extra efforts cut down on Spam we all receive. Fewer
      email address for email bots to grab.... Although..... Getty has
      stopped archiving posts (last posts to be archived were Dec 2011).
      Hmmm.... Maybe they are doing us favor by not archiving them on their
      site?