Re: [art_education] Re: Dioramas

  • fa_fadira@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
    Dear all,
    Let me introduce myself first, I'm a Visual Art teacher from Sekolah Cikal in Jakarta, Indonesia.

    I wanna share a picture of Diorama's that my student created.

    I integrate the making of diorama to their classroom unit of inquiry which is Ecosystem.

    The students are divided into 4 different groups of ecosystem which is lake, rice field, river and pond. Then they have to plan together with the group how they are going to create the diorama also decide who's the one making the animals.

    The materials we use is just cardboard box and play dough.

    I hope this helps.

    Thank you.
    Ayu Fadira :)
    Sent from my BlackBerry®
    powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT

    From: "Ken" <kenroar@...>
    Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 19:26:51 -0000
    To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
    ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [art_education] Re: Dioramas

    I feel that as long as the verb, "create" is used it is probably an art form. Putting together models without painting is probably not art until you paint them. Setting the painted models in an environment that students create is certainly art.

    If all they were doing is putting together unpainted models and then playing with them, then I wouldn't distinguish that from play. If students are putting together models that are painted in a setting / environment that they create, then that's art.

    An added bonus is the integration into other subject areas the lesson affords. For example, it integrates into language arts if they are creating a Harry Potter diorama. It integrates into science if it's an environment in nature they are creating.

    Ken