Re: Teaching art classes private this summer charging?

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2012
      All great suggestions and things to keep in mind. The only one Mrs. Prior didn't mention was bundling, or I like to call it a "punch-it card", but it's the same idea that a parent buys a set of workshops- fora discount over the la carte price and can come to which ever ones fit into their schedule.
      In the summer, the obstacle I come into contact with most is availability of students. The parents are willing to spend $8-12 per workshop but they will miss 2 out of 6 in a given session. So I created punch-it cards where you bought 4 or 6 classes, always 2 less than were actually given, and they got their card hole-punched (hence the name) at the top of a lesson. It should specify somewhere that the card is only good for the summer of 2012, or if you're feeling generous and offer classes throughout the year, you could make it until Dec. 2012. I would definitely put a time end to when the classes can be taken. I didn't think of that the first year and students came back from the previous summer with a punch card for 1 or 2 classes.
      I'm already knee deep in summer camps myself and having a great time :)
      Enjoy,
      Brandy

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "priorhouse" <priorhouse@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Fees are still important, but my point w/ summer classes, try not to be too high - yet do not be afraid to charge a fair price. And a fair price will usually bring more students, more consistently.
      >
      > You may want to have a sliding scale (but that is hard to manage) - OR let folks know prices can be packaged for an affordable amount - like if you sign up and prepay for so many --this is the price. Or maybe every 6th class is free.
      >
      > For length of time, in my experience with middle school and older - it is always easier (on me, the teacher) to have classes longer than an hour (at least 90 minutes) because it is more relaxed, allows more time for lesson completion, and students get to really help with clean up (which is not just helpful for me, but I have come to really realize that certain cleaning up is an important part of the art experience for many reasons).
      >
      > However, too long of art classes (for any age) well, it is not good either - and this month I have done two art sessions that I called workshops. The first one was four hours - but it was way too long - even with very creative and artsy kids - it was at the 3 hour mark that I noticed everything really reached the over done point!! So the next workshop we did the following week, -(7 kids that time) well it was only 3 hours and it was much better - and it felt more like an art camp day.
      > Students had at least four play breaks (we met at an art room in a church that used to have a private school - and so we had free access to a game room and basketball court in between doing our art. We had lunch too, and I also had some leftover Martha Stewart art stuff (bag puppets, bird kits, etc.) and put those out on the stage to do if students wanted while waiting for paint to dry or while just taking a break.
      > The success of the day (for me) was summed up when one student was walking up to me at the end of the workshop (her mom was picking her up) and she had this huge smile as she fumbled to carry her two completed 6x6 canvasses and a baggie full of misc. art kit items - and you could tell she was pleased with her pieces and she asked me to help her find a take home box for her to put her stuff in.
      >
      > Anyhow, in my experience, summer may be the perfect time to offer longer classes (or workshops). Also, I do not send work home at all with summer art. Unless the student really asks for it and has that serious interest, but most do not want anything that even resembles homework - especially in June.
      >
      > HTH -
      > Mrs. Prior in VA
      >
      > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "dacke8175" <dacke8175@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have been approached to do some private art lessons this summer out of my home. Have any of you done this?
      > > What do you usually charge?
      > > Is it and hour hour and half two hours?
      > > Do you give them homework to finish the project or generally do it all here?

    • Susannah Personal
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2012
        I do private classes on a regular basis. My classes are an hour long and I usually charge $25 per class. I also do groups which is 6 classes total once a week and about $125 per. am also doing camps this summer, 5 days, 3 hours each day, $150 per. Most classes are general art stuff but sometimes they want to concentrate on drawing, or on painting. I will occasionally give a homework assignment but only if they are super interested. All of the above pertains to kids, ages 5-10. I also teach adults, class usually runs 1 1/2 hours.
        Hope this helps!
        Susannah

        Sent from my iPad