digital cameras

  • Diane Gregory
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
      Hi All,

      I am planning to purchase around ten digital cameras for the art education program at Texas Woman's University.  I have not stayed up to date with camera technology.

      I am interested in getting either some point and shoot digital cameras and/or some digital single lens reflex cameras that have some video capacity.  Does anyone have a recommendation?

      I would like something that is relatively easy to use but has some degree of quality.

      I am in the process of setting up our program so that we can better teach our future art teachers how to integrate technology in the classroom.  We are also getting about ten iPads as well and some lap top Mac computers.  The lap tops will be ordered later this year when Apple releases its new set of computers.

      I would appreciate any advice on digital cameras.

      Thanks so much

      Diane Gregory

    • Kathy Maloney Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
        Check out cameras that will not break the first time they're dropped. I love the one I decided on. It's around 200 dollars. It's waterproof and drop proof and very easy to carry around without the worries of more fragile cameras. Mine is a Pentax 06M.

        --
        Kathy Maloney Johnson
        Art Teacher
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2012
          From personal experience, my Nikons (had two different ones) have broken easily and even the best of their line, the DS series, has been known to have pixelation issues that will create significant problems in development. Also, except for their top of line Ds series, they take s u p e r S L O W pictures. Omg, you age a day before that stupid thing decides finally click and capture. Forget ever capturing sports or fast action shots.
          I've had great luck with the Canon series Powershot. I have a Sx150. It has the standard digital features, plus a few select feature so you can teach f-stop and aperture. My last one, I had banging around in my purse for 4 year, used my kids, my students, and my relatives, and finally got stolen at school one day. But it was a great camera! They are normally $200-250, but I find them on sale at Best buy several times a year for $150. Just replaced my stolen one :)
          Regards,
          Brandy