JOB OPENING: Los Angeles Children's Chorus - Apprentice Choir Conductor
LOS ANGELES CHILDRENS CHORUS
Position Available: APPRENTICE CHOIR CONDUCTOR
The mission of the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus is to provide choral music education of the highest quality to young people who represent richly diverse racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds.
The program ignites a love of singing and nurtures the full expression of each individual’s potential for artistic and personal excellence through the collaborative experience of choral music performance.
Through the beauty of inspired and joyful singing, Los Angeles Children’s Chorus brings the transformative power of music to communities throughout Southern California, the nation and the world.
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Reports to: Artistic Director
Status: Part time (approximately 10 hours per week)
Start date: August 1, 2012
Conduct the Apprentice Choir of LACC ensuring each child’s development in bel canto vocal technique for children, musicianship skills development based on a Kodaly methodology and choral artistry taught through repertoire representing the full Western canon of music, world music, and contemporary compositions for young voices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct all rehearsals and performances of the LACC Apprentice Choir
- Plan all rehearsals, community concerts, retreats, travels, workshops, educational forums, and all educational enhancement offerings of the Apprentice Choir
- Work collegially with Artistic Planning Team to implement educational goals, select repertoire, and calendar activities
- Assist with auditions and bi-yearly evaulations
- Assist with strategic artistic planning
- Assist in LACC communications and support the life of LACC
- 3 years experience in conducting boys and girls ages 7-13
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Music or Music Education
- Knowledge of bel canto technique for young voices
- Vocal model appropriate for young, treble singers
- Knowledge of Kodaly methodology and Curwen hand signs
- Ability to work well in a collegial musical/educational environment
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, attention to detail and accuracy
- Effective classroom management skills
- Flexible schedule
- Self-motivated and self-starting
Applications may be submitted by mail, fax or email. Please write “Apprentice Choir Conductor, Application-LACC” prominently on your faxed or mailed submission, or in the subject line of your email. Please submit your resumé and cover letter as a Microsoft Word (DOC) or Acrobat (PDF) document only.
Application deadline: Applications submitted by 5:00 pm PDT on Tuesday, June 12, 2012 will receive priority consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Please send resume with cover letter to:
Los Angeles Children’s Chorus
Attn: Sue Li
585 East Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91101
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please note: LACC conducts background checks on all applicants.
Los Angeles Children's Chorus
Job Description - Apprentice Choir Director
The Apprentice Choir Director is a member of the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus (LACC) artistic team and conducting staff. The Apprentice Choir Director is a part time employee (10 hours/week) of Los Angeles Children's Chorus and reports directly to LACC’s Artistic Director. The Apprentice Choir Director will be an ambassador for Los Angeles Children's Chorus and its chorister members, and will be a colleague to all artistic and administrative staff. In conjunction with LACC’s artistic and administrative staff, the Apprentice Choir Director will support in his/her work the mission of the organization:
Los Angeles Children’s Chorus provides choral music education of the highest quality to young people who represent richly diverse racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds. The program ignites a love of singing and nurtures the full expression of each individual’s potential for artistic and personal excellence through the collaborative experience of choral music performance. Through the beauty of inspired and joyful singing, Los Angeles Children’s Chorus brings the transformative power of music to communities throughout Southern California, the nation, and the world.
The primary responsibilities of LACC’s Apprentice Choir Director are as follows:
- Serving as principal conductor of LACC’s Apprentice Choir;
(including assistance with auditions, suggesting repertoire, leading rehearsals, conducting
self-produced, contracted and community concerts, lead by-yearly vocal evaluations,
preparation of choristers for the annual Masterclass, suggesting and planning enrichment
opportunities including a day trip, lead the annual Open House for the community at large,
lead the Open Rehearsal for parents of the Apprentice Choir, lead portions of the annual retreat,
lead the Apprentice Choir session at the Parent Orientation)
- Assist with Strategic Artistic and Educational planning.
- Serving as a faculty member of LACC educational Symposiums, Forums and workshops;
The Apprentice Choir Director should plan to attend:
- LACC concerts, musical events and rehearsals as assigned;
- Weekly artistic staff meetings as planned by the Artistic Director;
- LACC Board of Directors’ meetings as assigned and to deliver verbal reports as requested;
- Additional concerts, meetings and events as needed and determined in conjunction with the Artistic Director.
The Apprentice Choir Director will assist in LACC communications and support the life of LACC by:
- Reviewing and contributing to relevant LACC handouts in advance of distribution;
- Writing articles as assigned for the newsletter "Accents" and other publications as assigned;
- Advising choir members of important events in the life of the Chorus;
- Attending and assisting with social and fundraising events as requested;
- Assisting with publicity needs as requested.
- Assist in Grant development as requested.
The Apprentice Choir Director will have the opportunity to participate in professional development as needed and requested. Activities and content of this professional development will be discussed and determined with the Artistic Director in advance. LACC will, when possible, contribute financial resources for this professional development.
Other relevant duties as assigned.
Sue Li | Assistant Executive Director
LOS ANGELES CHILDREN'S CHORUS
585 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91101
tel 626.793.4231 | fax 626.793.0173