Re: Curriculum Help

  • Cathy Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14 7:53 AM
      I've been teaching in juvenile corrections for a dozen years, art and writing. I've also taught a couple of years at the alt high, which is all at-risk students.

      My best advice is to follow what you find passionate interest in. These kids love to do art. They'll follow you anywhere and do whatever you want, if you teach clearly and with love (for the subject and for them), set up clear expectations for whatever skill you're teaching, give virtually all positive feedback, and allow enough time for the projects.

      I've done art history with related projects (think Scholastic Art Magazine), lots of drawing and painting, ceramics, all the regular stuff.

      If they say, "I like it this way," I say, "Do the first one my way, and the second one, you can do it the way you like." This has the inferred but not always stated idea that the grade hinges on doing it well the first time.

      I avoid gimmicky stuff. As an example, near the end of the year, we are patient and ready to do gridded self-portraits. I just do them straight on, with a digital photo and a grid and a gridded drawing sheet. We don't skew them or do cutesy things with them. The resulting portraits are so beautiful that the kids adore them (you will too). No gimmicks needed.

      Cathy Wilson
      Art and English Teacher
      Carbon School District

      --