Re: [art_education] What's your post-baccalaureate program?

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2012
      gifted ed
      On May 7, 2012, at 12:25 PM, saraha_1983 wrote:

      Hello All,

      I am completing my second year of teaching in a public school. In my state, we are required to take 18 credits in the first 6 years to keep licenses current. I believe I am going to pursue my MFA online. One of my reasons for pursuing an MFA vs. pedagogical courses is because I will be teaching High School Art next year (and hopefully for a while). I would like to keep sharp and even learn new techniques for different mediums.

      I was just wondering what course of study everyone has taken, and whether they have found it to be successful. Obviously, several factors come into play including: school budgets (do you find it harder to find a job with a Master's degree?), my budget (barely a dent in undergrad loans), and what truly has helped you overall?

      Thank You!

    • kmartist1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2012
        I did a masters in Art Ed and more recently a Master of Science in Education Media Design and Technology. Felt I needed to get my technical skills up to par, but I agree that paying for the education really put a dent in my paycheck. I don't think an expensive program is worth it financially, perhaps spiritually if you're into it.

        Kerry Marquis
        TeachArt.Net