Re: What's your post-baccalaureate program?

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2012
      Hi Sarah,

      I earned my Master's in Curriculum and Instruction in Art Education from SUNY Potsdam (NY). It was a wonderful program, tailored to me. I took half education, half graduate level art- so I was able to strengthen weaknesses in my art background (ceramics and painting)and strengthen my pedagogy as an art educator. I feel strongly that quality reflection and study of best practice is most important. Do you want to teach art making and problem solving or advanced technique only? Are you going to tell your high school students what to make, or lead them on a journey toward furthering their skills and finding their own unique artistic voice? Do you plan to stay in teaching as your vocation or is it what you do to pay the bills and insurance while you pursue your art career? I respect the idea of wanting to further your skills as an artist, but please try to find a program that will also expand your teaching ideas. As for jobs, great teachers get hired in great districts.

      Hope that helped?
      Ali B. 9-12 for one more month, then back to elementary in a great new district!

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "saraha_1983" <altmans33@...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I am completing my second year of teaching in a public school. In my state, we are required to take 18 credits in the first 6 years to keep licenses current. I believe I am going to pursue my MFA online. One of my reasons for pursuing an MFA vs. pedagogical courses is because I will be teaching High School Art next year (and hopefully for a while). I would like to keep sharp and even learn new techniques for different mediums.
      >
      > I was just wondering what course of study everyone has taken, and whether they have found it to be successful. Obviously, several factors come into play including: school budgets (do you find it harder to find a job with a Master's degree?), my budget (barely a dent in undergrad loans), and what truly has helped you overall?
      >
      > Thank You!

    • Kathleen Maledon
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2012
        gifted ed

      • kmartist1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2012
          I did a masters in Art Ed and more recently a Master of Science in Education Media Design and Technology. Felt I needed to get my technical skills up to par, but I agree that paying for the education really put a dent in my paycheck. I don't think an expensive program is worth it financially, perhaps spiritually if you're into it.

          Kerry Marquis
          TeachArt.Net