Re: photoshop elements- pointers?

  • Ellis & Julia Conley
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 4:35 PM

      Hi Brandy:

      I use Photoshop Elements, and I really like it because it is not quite so intimidating as PS CSwhatever number it is now.

      My first two quarters are darkroom centered, making a pinhole camera and using and developing film.  The second semester is all digital.

      Here is the rough outline:

      1.        I start out with basic stuff, making sure they can download photos, make folders and files.  We save everything on Dropbox or thumb drives.

      2.        We do short lessons on how to use the organizer, how to edit and what the symbols on the side of the window mean.

      3.       We load a photo and make minor adjustments like those under the Enhance menu (lighting, contrast, hue and saturation, etc.)

       The next lessons all focus on one or more of the adjustment tools, and I try to make them build on each other:

      4.        Filters

      5.       Opacity and overlays (double negatives)

      6.       Cut and paste (morphing animals or visual puns or putting an image of you underwater)

      7.       Social Commentary (Adding text)

      8.       Changing a photo to B/W but leaving an accent color

      9.       Digital collage

      10.   Fixing an antique or damaged photo

      11.   A Portrait unit – series using different lighting, props, etc.  “Senior Picture” style

      12.

      I don’t really use a text, but I am sure there are good ones out there.  I only have 4 computers, so while they are taking turns with the computers, we do a variety of printmaking techniques.

      Hope this helps!

      Julia Conley

      Buckhannon-Upshur High School

      Buckhannon, WV