re: photoshop elements- pointers?

  • Mark Runge
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2012
      I teach beginning to AP graphics using PS (We use CS5 extended version, so I'm not sure how much of the below applies to elements.) as the start of the Adobe software package we use.

      Please feel free to go to my diigo and dig around: http://www.diigo.com/user/mark4art. Check under Photoshop and Graphics.

      The two sites I use a lot: psdtuts.com and worth1000.com. The psdtuts site has so much information like tutorials, artist interviews, and examples of art--really much more. We use worth1000 to get ideas for projects. My kids (high schoolers) love to have input in our projects, so I make them come up with them. In between the projects I introduce tools and practices, and I make them use those in their work.

      There is so much information online, it is jus narrowing down what you want for your kids, as I'm sure you know.

      Here is a link to a blog that I've made my kids start keeping: http://shorecrestart.blogspot.com/. It is a great way for them to show their work in "public" and speak about it.

      Please let me know if I can help in any way.

      Big smiles to you.
      Mark

      --

      “That’s the real power of art, I think.  Not to chide but to provoke challenge.  Otherwise why bother?”  Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West

    • Ellis & Julia Conley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2012

        Hi Brandy:

        I use Photoshop Elements, and I really like it because it is not quite so intimidating as PS CSwhatever number it is now.

        My first two quarters are darkroom centered, making a pinhole camera and using and developing film.  The second semester is all digital.

        Here is the rough outline:

        1.        I start out with basic stuff, making sure they can download photos, make folders and files.  We save everything on Dropbox or thumb drives.

        2.        We do short lessons on how to use the organizer, how to edit and what the symbols on the side of the window mean.

        3.       We load a photo and make minor adjustments like those under the Enhance menu (lighting, contrast, hue and saturation, etc.)

         The next lessons all focus on one or more of the adjustment tools, and I try to make them build on each other:

        4.        Filters

        5.       Opacity and overlays (double negatives)

        6.       Cut and paste (morphing animals or visual puns or putting an image of you underwater)

        7.       Social Commentary (Adding text)

        8.       Changing a photo to B/W but leaving an accent color

        9.       Digital collage

        10.   Fixing an antique or damaged photo

        11.   A Portrait unit – series using different lighting, props, etc.  “Senior Picture” style

        12.

        I don’t really use a text, but I am sure there are good ones out there.  I only have 4 computers, so while they are taking turns with the computers, we do a variety of printmaking techniques.

        Hope this helps!

        Julia Conley

        Buckhannon-Upshur High School

        Buckhannon, WV