Re: photoshop elements- pointers?

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 5:01 AM
      Hi Brandy,

      I bought the "Classroom in a Book" this year to get me through photoshop with my students. It really helped me as a newbie, mostly when students had questions I couldn't answer I could take out the book and find it in the index. B/c you already have a comfort level with elements you will be fine. As for lessons, we did an overview/tour of the tool bars, etc. and played around for a few days and everyone shared their photos and how they changed them. I gave a lot of open ended problems so kids could work at their comfort level, but the book has lessons that build on each other. I just picked the stuff that seemed most important to what my kids were working on. Ali

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

      > I am being asked to teach Adobe photoshop next year, which I'm excited about. But I have no experience with any version other than 5.0 elements (yeah, it was a while ago, but I've actually been using it every since I got it, & I'm good at that version and I love it.)
      > I do want to take my students into this decade with Photoshop so I'll be getting the photoshop elements 10. Does anyone have any pointers for teaching this? Any recommended books for this project?
      > When I try to find tutorials online, there is a lot, which I am grateful for, but not sure where to start teaching myself this program after I get it.
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Brandy

    • Mark Runge
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 5:22 AM
        I teach beginning to AP graphics using PS (We use CS5 extended version, so I'm not sure how much of the below applies to elements.) as the start of the Adobe software package we use.

        Please feel free to go to my diigo and dig around: http://www.diigo.com/user/mark4art. Check under Photoshop and Graphics.

        The two sites I use a lot: psdtuts.com and worth1000.com. The psdtuts site has so much information like tutorials, artist interviews, and examples of art--really much more. We use worth1000 to get ideas for projects. My kids (high schoolers) love to have input in our projects, so I make them come up with them. In between the projects I introduce tools and practices, and I make them use those in their work.

        There is so much information online, it is jus narrowing down what you want for your kids, as I'm sure you know.

        Here is a link to a blog that I've made my kids start keeping: http://shorecrestart.blogspot.com/. It is a great way for them to show their work in "public" and speak about it.

        Please let me know if I can help in any way.

        Big smiles to you.
        Mark

        --

        “That’s the real power of art, I think.  Not to chide but to provoke challenge.  Otherwise why bother?”  Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West

      • Ellis & Julia Conley
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 4:35 PM

          Hi Brandy:

          I use Photoshop Elements, and I really like it because it is not quite so intimidating as PS CSwhatever number it is now.

          My first two quarters are darkroom centered, making a pinhole camera and using and developing film.  The second semester is all digital.

          Here is the rough outline:

          1.        I start out with basic stuff, making sure they can download photos, make folders and files.  We save everything on Dropbox or thumb drives.

          2.        We do short lessons on how to use the organizer, how to edit and what the symbols on the side of the window mean.

          3.       We load a photo and make minor adjustments like those under the Enhance menu (lighting, contrast, hue and saturation, etc.)

           The next lessons all focus on one or more of the adjustment tools, and I try to make them build on each other:

          4.        Filters

          5.       Opacity and overlays (double negatives)

          6.       Cut and paste (morphing animals or visual puns or putting an image of you underwater)

          7.       Social Commentary (Adding text)

          8.       Changing a photo to B/W but leaving an accent color

          9.       Digital collage

          10.   Fixing an antique or damaged photo

          11.   A Portrait unit – series using different lighting, props, etc.  “Senior Picture” style

          12.

          I don’t really use a text, but I am sure there are good ones out there.  I only have 4 computers, so while they are taking turns with the computers, we do a variety of printmaking techniques.

          Hope this helps!

          Julia Conley

          Buckhannon-Upshur High School

          Buckhannon, WV