Re: DATA driven Art

  • Emily Majeski
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2012
      With our quarter assessments, we have to assess all the objectives from our curriculum and show growth in each, though it's up to us how we do that. The school recommends more than one method on a test-written portion, multiple choice, a performance area, matching, etc. I keep it under 20 items total.

      It's not as hard to do as I thought. I look at it as a way of testing students in a way that is familiar to them on subject matter they might feel is not "testable" or that seems really foreign to some- it kind of levels the playing field for those who are very artistic and those who are not. If you are a kid who is just not really great at drawing, but you are good at observation, you paid attention, and you follow directions, you can still do very well. I find that many kids who don't try that hard to improve their skills or creativity also don't listen very well or pay much attention to directions are the ones the test is really hard for -the ones who don't care.

      I do review every week with students and try to get all to participate, coming up to the board to draw an organic shape or write an answer. In all, it works out fine and making the tests specific to grade, but broad enough is a balance that helps so you don't have to constantly change it. Especially since the point is to show progression from grade to grade, quarter to quarter.

      Have a great day!

      Emily

      Sent from my iPhone