Education System Stifles Creativity

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2012
      There is a great article that can be used to advocate for the arts in education that was published in THE Journal by Adobe. The article discusses the fact that the American education system stifles creativity. Because we have list members around the world I'm curious if this is happening in other countries as well:

      http://thejournal.com/articles/2012/04/23/education-system-stifles-creativity-survey-finds.aspx?=THENU
    • priorhouse
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2012
        Ken - thanks for this article link!
        It seems that the topic of creativity has been coming up all week in my neck of the woods!
        Earlier today, was talking with a parent about how to develop creativity and she wanted to know if I agreed that students needed more time to be free and to be able to unfold. Now of course there are so many variations and differences in situations- and so many ways to go about such an answer - but I shared about my experience with pulling out student creativity (in traditional school settings, at home, in small groups, - and even with my own work).
        And after observing so many students have idea blocks - or see some look at blank canvasses with no ideas coming- or get frustrated from this or that/low flow/ etc. - well I have seen that the best flowing creativity came after students had adequate exposure to materials (ideas, themes, purposes, suggestions, etc.). Creativity is truly fed and cultivated! There is a time to give space to unfold - but it could be wasting your time if the student needs ideas and material exposure -

        Anyhow, a new book out (called IMAGINE), has good insight about creativity (and the connection to success in life). In sum, the author argues that creativity is linked to the brain and it can be grown and developed in all people - NOT JUST A SELECT FEW!!! – He shares about it here –
        http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/04/12/mpr_news_presents/
        Website here:
        http://www.jonahlehrer.com/

        ~ Jonah Lehrer, suggests that creativity is developed - nurtured - and reminds us that creativity is taught! He also observes that success (with creative development and in the world of work) comes from having GRIT! From learning how to push on – bounce back – refuse to quit – he calls it GRIT! It is not the smartest – not the highest test score – not the most talented- instead, it is having GRIT! This applies to us teachers too - and how many make it through that difficult first year - or other years.

        This book can serve as another reminder to us teachers to not forget that we are also teaching students how to persevere and push on (and developing it ourselves) – and when we drop a few quotes in class (like Winston Churchill saying- never, ever give up) or when we have that sixty second reminder about pulling deep – or not quitting – well it can have lifelong rippling fruits!

        It is also a reminder
        to us all that a balance is needed for creativity - in and outside of the art room - times to pour out, times to soak up - and times to develop grit!

        Lehrer uses the NFL draft as a comparison of outcomes vs. predictions – the only thing that really has useful value from the combine results- has been the 40 yard-dash for predicting running backs – all other player predictions have not shown anything at all. He also uses a West Point example that found student responses to how they reacted to setback was the biggest predictor of success as a cadet! High levels of grit were associated with success (not grades, not talent, not ability – but persevering).

        Take care,
        Mrs. Prior in VA
        <><