Re: Enchanting Polymer Clay Project

  • Emily Majeski
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 14, 2012
      I'm doing clay looms with my students right now, which might be good for what you are looking for. Basically, you can roll out polymer or Amoco gray or white air dry clay (if you have a lot) and cut out a shape the size of your hand or a bit bigger, then cut out a rectangle in the middle of the shape ( that's your weaving space. Next you poke an odd number of holes (7 is good) at the top and bottom of the rectangle. Students paint them and then weave after they are hard. If you can Google clay looms you will not only find pictures of examples, but there is even a handout out there someone made up. You might just want to change it up a bit. It's a great project for any grade above 3rd because all skill levels will look different, but you get nice results no matter what. Plus it has that " WOW" factor when displayed together.

      If you only have a bit, there's a cool figure/ gesture project that works well with polymer. Basically it's like a marionette. You need about a yard of string per person and they roll out a small (1 inch) round head, oval hips, oval shoulders with a ouch to make the neck, and 4 "logs" for the parts of the lower and upper arms and legs, plus hands and feet. Dick Blick has a full lesson of this- they called it the Doodle Dancer in their lesson book that came with this years catalog, but it's likely online. You may or may not want to do the tattoo decorations they show (even though I loved the awesome "tattooed lady" they had in theirs- I let my students choose to decorate them however they wanted- ballerinas, circus people, sports figures, movie and book characters, etc... They look really cool together when done!

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Jody Gore
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14, 2012
        great advice...thanks!

        Jody Gore
        DeSoto Arts Council Art Gallery, Manager
        318-858-2444

        I shall be telling this with a sigh
        Somewhere ages and ages hence:
        Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
        I took the one less traveled by,
        And that has made all the difference.  Robert Frost

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 17, 2012
          What about doing a town for a theme? Students could make buildings out of paper and boxes and people, cars, animals with the clay. I've had grade 2 make buildings with clay (slab, cut out windows, add details, curve while drying then fire) and they look cool together and on a windowsill or with a candle behind.. ALi