Re: Why isn't there ADVOCACY or a discussion on lack of planning for ele

  • Emily Majeski
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2012
      It sounds like that's your school. I have 30 minutes to plan for 3 afternoon classes, which..... I feel your pain to an extent there... It's like no time. But I'm then given planning from 2:15 to the end if our school day to hang artwork, organize, grade, and set up what I need for the next day. I have no planning period at the middle school I teach at in the morning, where I have 4 classes until lunch, so I just come early or pull stuff out as I go. It helps that I have my own room at both locations, but I didn't used to. It's my third year and I taught elem in the cafeteria last year, so my advice is A) have everything ready and available at hand to just grab in class, which has helped me,B) adjust the expectation levels you place on yourself- you're probably already doing a much better job than they expect of you, so try not to stress about the complexity of projects C) try to have several projects in a day that use similar materials so it's less to prepare, and D) start checking out other schools- contrary to what people will have you believe at your school- they aren't the only game around and elem teachers DO get planning periods.

      Good luck!
      Emily

      Sent from my iPhone