Re: [art_education] Why isn't there ADVOCACY or a discussion on lack of planning for elementary art?

  • Kathy Maloney Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2012
      Thanks for talking about. It's the elephant in the room. People are afraid of losing their jobs; that instead of the squeaky wheel getting the grease the squeaky wheel will get replaced. It must be true of many, at least. There was no tenure in the Catholic school where I worked for 18 years. So when a new principal and the priest decided to change the art schedule to allow the music teacher the freedom to play for masses that often came up unexpectedly; mostly for funerals. I had to chose between my two schools. It was a traumatic experience. So humiliating and heartbreaking.

      Kathy

      On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM, carney_home <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      My question is tied to the shrinking budget and ever increasing work load of more classes per day, and more students in each class (with all "planning" days gone as "furlough" and therefore we do project preparation & planning on our own time).

      I teach 33 classes of art a week to approximately 825 students (713 at one school, 112 at another). Yet, I am given 35 minutes at each school to plan for 5 different grade levels (at two schools that have totally different sets of supplies). I've been told "elementary art teachers just don't get planning time - that's the way it's always been. Just be glad you have a job!"

      THE BIG QUESTION?...
      Do administrators and school board members think that 35 minutes is enough planning and preparation time for 713 students in 5 different grades? Why are we being told we "will be evaluated on a more strict basis under Race To The Top" and we must "teach to the standards to support the improvement of math scores?" BUT... we are not given time to plan or prepare supplies for the hundreds of students we teach weekly? Why is this reality not a big issue that NAEA or GAEA is tackling?

      I guess it is obvious I am only a 4th year art teacher. It's like the childhood story of "The Emperor Has No Clothes" and no one is willing to state the obvious -- hey, the Emperor has no clothes OR elementary art teachers have no planning/prep time. Why are people not talking about this? Why is there not an ADVOCACY group dedicated to this vitally important matter?
      - Gay Carney, elementary art teacher in Georgia

      --
      Kathy Maloney Johnson
      Art Teacher