Re: [art_education] Tips on being a traveling art teacher needed

  • Clay Lady
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2012
      I did this for many years in MD. with no problem, everything works out.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012
        Hi,

        I teach at the elementary and a middle school in my district. They are close to each other in distance, but the work load is the same. I've been at it for three years now, but when I was hired, it was to give the high school teacher a break from teaching all three grades at the same time. He's past retirement age and he'd been doing it for 5 years! Believe me HE kept it simple! Well, I don't blame him, that was a heavy load! But I see grades 5-8 before lunch and I have them for about 45 minutes. I get a lot of great ideas from Princetonol art lessons online. We focus more on drawing and painting in Middle. I made my own curriculum map last year based on the Illinois Standards, but basically I do different variations on portraits, masks, landscapes, styrofoam printing, watercolor technique, contour and blind contour, clay, and mobiles or sculpture. I give students a week to two weeks for big projects. I try to do 4 big projects, 4-5 smaller projects ( less than a week to complete) a couple of worksheets with articles on art topics, and we are in Common Core testing already so the kids have a pretest and a test every quarter that is different at each grade level, created to show a progression of improvement from one grade to the next. I keep a class folder for them to turn in their work so it's easy for me to organize and each student creates a portfolio folder so they can keep their own work organized. I hang up work twice a quarter from all four grades and I only pick a couple big projects from each class, but everyone's work gets shown. I used to try to hang every project, but it was too much for me to keep up with, so I condensed it. Plus, we have an art show at the end of the year on the same night as our Spring Concert.

        Giving jobs in each class at Middle Scl every week gives me time to do more. They are responsible to clean their own mess at this age, so I have a Sink Boss to help put away clean paint dishes and wipe off the sinks and counters, a Supply Manager to put away supplies, a Paper Passer, and for fun we have a Class DJ to pick our radio station. Class jobs and students learning to clean up after themselves keeps me from coming back to that school to do dishes on paint days, so that's been an important thing to work on with students. The up side: when you have all the grades, you can train them right! In the elem I have 2 helpers each class, but we have two kid sinks in there, so even they can start with washing a brush or wiping their tables.

        At 11 am I head to the Elem and have a lunch/ prep until 12, which is when my three 45-minute-long classes start for the afternoon. Not much time to prep. I see grades 1-4 once a week in rotation. I get grading and hanging work done during my prep at the end of the day from 2:15- til we leave at 3:30. I rarely ever stay late! I get everything done in that time, the key is to have materials ready at hand, so i pre cut paper i will need and make copies if I need them. Key for me is organizing each class' artwork in its own folder- quicker to grade, hang up, and return to classroom teachers.
        For me, longer, more inolved projects take at least two classes, sometimes 3. Have mazes or puZzles printed or cheap paper for kids wee draw so they don't bother the ones who are still working.

        I keep up my energy by making sure to eat breakfast in the morning- sounds corny but true. I keep myself organized in my own way, though I'm not the most organized person- you have to cut yourself some slack each day. It seems daunting at first, but it becomes second nature once you're in it every day. Keep a sense of humor and try not to pressure yourself too much.

        Good luck!

        Emily
        Sent from my iPhone
      • Y.R. Brown
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012
          Thank you all for the great advice and the common sense suggestions!
        • Kathleen Maledon
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012
            jamie, you make my head and back hurt!  you are a trooper and a credit
            the professions.  k
            On Mar 31, 2012, at 7:22 AM, Jamie Lynch wrote:

            Hello,

            I have a total of 1,100 students combined. I travel to 3 schools. My suggestion is to keep things very simple! I would suggest investigating an art website such as, "paintedPaper" and also, "Deep Space Sparkle"... These are 2 sites that include a simple art supply list that allows for some great, yet simple and fun, teachable lessons!

            Each year student's have either an Art Folder(1st-2nd) and sketchbooks,(3rd-5th).... Inside of each sketchbook or Art Folders are a collection of the Year's work... In the Spring, I conduct an Art Walk and Talk where parent's, Faculty, Staff, Board Members, etc. are invited to have a "look-see"at what their child/student has created! Each school handles each Walk and Talk differently and if you are interested in this concept I'm happy to fill you in on more details. Just let me know. It is a very successful way to display artwork and include discussion with other people. A WIn Win!

            Jamie B Lynch
            Art Teacher 1st-5th
            Muscle Shoals City Schools

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012