using imagination

  • Christine B
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2012
      We've been talking about book illustration and what an illustrator does. I want to do a lesson with my pre-k students where we read a poem or a story and I don't show the pictures in the book so the students will use their imaginations and then they will create their own pictures for the stories or poems. What books or poems could I share that would have great imagery?

      Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

      Thanks!
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
        I have done this with "What a Wonderful World" and "Puff the Magic Dragon". Maybe do a song that they already know and record them singing for a slide show... awe! :) ALi B.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Christine B" <gracenaidan@...> wrote:

        > We've been talking about book illustration and what an illustrator does. I want to do a lesson with my pre-k students where we read a poem or a story and I don't show the pictures in the book so the students will use their imaginations and then they will create their own pictures for the stories or poems. What books or poems could I share that would have great imagery?
        >
        > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
          Pre-ks learn nursery rhythms- all of them have great imagery and easy to understand language. Or what about an Aesop's fables? I have a book and each story is about 1/3 to half a page. They were very concise and all had animal characters.
          Oh, and anything done by Eric Carle. I love him.
          Regards,
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Christine B" <gracenaidan@...> wrote:

          > We've been talking about book illustration and what an illustrator does. I want to do a lesson with my pre-k students where we read a poem or a story and I don't show the pictures in the book so the students will use their imaginations and then they will create their own pictures for the stories or poems. What books or poems could I share that would have great imagery?
          >
          > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Robin Hartmann
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
            Todd Parr is a wonderful illustrator who writes simple and very cool bookd- one I have used is called "It's OK to be Different" It reads very easy - I even let my kids put their own reason it's ok to be... The illustrations always come out great
            Robin Hartmann
            The New School Montessori
            Cincinnati. Ohio

            I have done this with "What a Wonderful World" and "Puff the Magic Dragon". Maybe do a song that they already know and record them singing for a slide show... awe! :) ALi B.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Christine B" <gracenaidan@...> wrote:

            > We've been talking about book illustration and what an illustrator does. I want to do a lesson with my pre-k students where we read a poem or a story and I don't show the pictures in the book so the students will use their imaginations and then they will create their own pictures for the stories or poems. What books or poems could I share that would have great imagery?
            >
            > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Christine Burke
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 774 KB
            thanks for the great ideas.  i love eric carle too

            Pre-ks learn nursery rhythms- all of them have great imagery and easy to understand language. Or what about an Aesop's fables? I have a book and each story is about 1/3 to half a page. They were very concise and all had animal characters.
            Oh, and anything done by Eric Carle. I love him.
            Regards,
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Christine B" <gracenaidan@...> wrote:

            > We've been talking about book illustration and what an illustrator does. I want to do a lesson with my pre-k students where we read a poem or a story and I don't show the pictures in the book so the students will use their imaginations and then they will create their own pictures for the stories or poems. What books or poems could I share that would have great imagery?
            >
            > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Ken
            Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
              IAD has several lessons involving Eric Carle:

              http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/linda-carle.htm
              http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/files/Rousseau.htm (Near bottom of page)

              Ken

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Christine Burke <gracenaidan@...> wrote:

              > thanks for the great ideas. i love eric carle too
            • azalea64es
              Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30, 2012
                Beatiful ideas Thank you. Love your ideas on Eric CArle....interesting workshop!

                janet

                Message 8 of 8 , Mar 30, 2012
                  Todd Parr's book "My Hair" is really funny too- this is fun to do with little kids, ala crazy hair day. :) thx for the reminder Robin!