ARTSEDGE: Diane Ravitch on Arts Education

  • Abodeely, John M
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2012

      Hello Colleagues,

      I thought this resource would be of interest to many of you.

      Public education historian Diane Ravitch discusses the inequity in access to arts education among American school children in a series of interviews and a speech posted on www.ArtsEdge.org. (I personally appreciated her review, in that speech, of why the arts are critical to children’s lives.)

      ·         http://bit.ly/x35wwm

      Diane Ravitch is a Research Professor of Education at New York University and a historian of education. In addition, she is a nonresident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. She shares a blog called Bridging Differences with Deborah Meier, hosted by Education Week. She also blogs for Politico.com/arena and The Huffington Post.

      Diane often speaks on inequality in American education and the negative impact of federal legislation on students, teachers, and schools—a common theme for many arts education advocates. In her speech, she addresses these issues as well as the fundamental importance of the arts to children and to society.

      -John

      John Abodeely

      National Partnerships, Education

      John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

      202.416.8843

      This e-mail message is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. This message may contain trade secrets, attorney-client communication, or other privileged and confidential information. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination, reproduction or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the Sender and delete the material from any computer.