Re: [art_education] Art mats

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2012
      a mat can be a piece of construction paper under the art work.  k
      On Mar 25, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Debora Kelly wrote:

      My daughter teachers at 2 schools -she needs to mat all the art work but ran out of mats- she need 100 more mats to finish the children's art show.
      Does anyone have a cheap idea for making mates or improvising a mat.
      She used the school budget for art already.
      Any suggestions would help !!!!!

    • MARYANN KOHL

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2012
          I get mat for nearly free where I live from the frame shops. Identify yourself as an art teacher and they will give you the inserts and leftovers for free or super low cost. If you need a quantity of good size pieces that doens't usually help though.
          Another interesting place are the box stores, like Office max, Office Depot and Staples. They have huge hanging signs that advertises stuff and then they just through them away. They will often give them to you, but you have to catch them at the right time. I've never had anyone so helpful as to call me when they were coming down, but they can often tell when and I then I come back the next day. I have also dumpster dived these before when they said, "oh, we just throw those away".
          Targets and Walmart will not give you their hanging signs. Target told me they were under contract and had throw them away. Walmart never said anything but no.
          Good luck,
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Debora Kelly" <dkelly1416@...> wrote:

          > My daughter teachers at 2 schools -she needs to mat all the art work but ran out of mats- she need 100 more mats to finish the children's art show.
          > Does anyone have a cheap idea for making mates or improvising a mat.
          > She used the school budget for art already.
          > Any suggestions would help !!!!!

        • Susan Michael

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 27, 2012
              Poster board works well for me. I usually leave a 2-inch boarder at top and sides, and 3 inches at bottom. Before I adhere the art to the poster board, I place the art on construction paper and create a 1/4 boarder around the art.
              A parent at our school donates poster board, but paper companies in your area might be willing to donate if your school funds have run out.

            • Kahl, Christanna
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 27, 2012
                go to donorschoose.org

                Christanna Kahl