Re: art ed & art therapy

  • Wayong@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2002
      Ada,
      let us know how your search goes.
      Check with United Cerebral Palsy to see if they are hiring.
      They have Saturday programs for teens & it's a good introduction with kids w/special needs, as for the most part the kids & the staff are pretty easy going. The work is not difficult, but it would require you to come up with your own project ideas.

      Rudolf Steiner & Montessori schools are often open to art & creative techniques. (again, they don't pay well, but a good
      way to start, as you said)

      I have found, in my experience, working with physically disabled children & alternative (open) school settings a great way to get one's feet wet in working with special needs. I worked on a Traumatic Brain Injury/ Coma Recovery Unit & found it a wonderful learning experience. Later on in
      my profession, I wanted more challanges (lesson plans can get
      a little monotaneous working w/cognitively impaired/physically disabled) & focused on working w/ ED/MR,
      psychiatric disorders, behaviour disorders, neurological disorders & gifted & talented populations. These populations
      can be very intense & overwhelming, but with the right training, extremely rewarding.

      Ada, if you have any questions, feel free to email me.
      Are you on artsednet or any special educators or creative arts therapy lists? They are much more active than this list & provide good networking opportunities.

      Wayong