Re: [art_education] papermaking: mould and deckle

  • Lucy Lim
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2012
      you can always try origami

      From: Beth Zahurones <zfarms@...>
      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, March 5, 2012 3:54 PM
      Subject: [art_education] papermaking: mould and deckle

      I need some help with papermaking, please. I understand making pulp, the
      importance of sponging excess water for strength, molding it to have a
      stronger paper....

      1.) I do not understand the deckle. So if I put it in a mould with
      sides, I cannot get it back out?? I would have thought that I could just
      dry it out, then peal it out? (obviously still a little wet- it isn't a
      little pliable??)

      2.) So if I need to put the pulp on the 'outside' of the mould, deckle
      on top: how do I get the pulp clear of the edges to use the deckle?
      won't it overlap?pressing will free it??

      3.) I've heard of using a shop vac to help extract the water to speed up
      the process. Anyone done this? Will kids be able to transport their
      paper home that day if it has been done this way? Do you work from
      screen side...through a felt??

      Thanks for the help.